cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow while adding contacts

Slow while adding contacts

take very long to add a contact. buffers forever!!!!

153 Comments
CTCT Employee

Hi Jim,

There are several methods of adding contacts to your account. I am including information on each in the link below. In each method there will be a step to add contacts to a list. You will see a blue + (plus) button on one of the screens.

Add Contacts to Your Account

Occasional Visitor
The wheel just keeps spinning

Hi Ralph, 

I am sorry to hear this is happening. Can you tell me more about how you are adding the contact--are you adding them via "Add a Contact" or "Add Nams and Emails"? Also, what browser and version are you working in when this happens?

Occasional Visitor
i like the new interface but it has slowed your system markedly. please optimize!
Occasional Visitor
So -- I have a list that I'm trying to edit. I deleted a couple names, and I want to add 9 names -- It will not take the new names -- I've tried the help page 3/4 times, I follow the directions and poof it adds 2 or 3 names but not the whole list. Do I just have to make a new list?
CTCT Employee

Thank you for reaching out to us, Barbara!  I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulties adding contacts to a list. 

Below I have pasted a link to a video on how to add contacts:

Adding contacts

Another tip, if these contacts have unsubscribed they will not be able to be added to a contact list.

If you have any other questions or feedback please feel free to reach back out to us!

Regular Visitor
Adding contacts needs to be upgraded.
CTCT Employee

Hi Peggy,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing frustration. Can you tell me a little more about why you are finding it more time consuming? What kind of information are you adding to your contacts? Are you typing them in manually?

Any additional information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Regular Visitor
wish it was faster!
CTCT Employee

Thank you for reaching out to us! 

Are you experiencing slowness in the account only when uploading contacts? 

How are you uploading the contacts - from a file, using 'add a contact', using 'add names and emails'? 

Have you tried using Constant Contact in a different browser?  For example - instead of using Internet Explorer you could try Google Chrome.

Please feel free to reach back out to us with any other questions or feedback!

Please speed up this process - it takes WAY too much time to get the job done.
PLEASE speed up the process to add, edit, remove contacts - this is MUCH slower than your former system
CTCT Employee

Thank you for reaching out to us Liz!

Are you unhappy with the steps it takes to add, edit and remove contacts? Are there too many steps to complete those actions?  Or is the system running slower then it did before?

Please let us know if you have any other questions or feedback!

I am creating new lists using imported .csv files, and the speed is sooooooooo slooooow uploading those lists!!! Please correct this!
Visitor
Maybe it's just a glitch but the function of adding contacts from a file seems to not work this morning
All Star
I typed in 79 new contacts after creating a new list, and thinking I was adding them to that list. Only to hit continue at the end and have no contacts listed in the new list! SO FRUSTRATING!!!!
Occasional Visitor
Very slow adding does not allow me to add multiple
Advisor

Hello Alexande,

I am sorry that you are having issues uploading your lists, and the wait times are longer than expected. Currently our engineering team is looking into the issue. Have you tried to upload different file types instead of csv, such as xls or xlsx have you noticed if they are still taking the same amount of time? The other thing you could try is a different browser such has chrome, firefox, or IE 9/10, please let me know if that makes any type of difference?

Mike

Tier 2 Community Support

CTCT Employee
Status changed to: New
Bob, I want to make sure that you get those contacts added to your account but I need a little more information in order to help you best. Can you tell us how you were adding them? What browser were you using? When you have that information, please call the support team at 855-229-5506 when you're ready!
Hi, Please improve the experience of adding contact. I find it frustrating to add contact via your web-based system. I don't have problem when I use benchmark marketing or any email provider. I am shocked to see this happening. Please have someone to redesign the logic flow of this feature. A normal step that take 5 sec become 1-2 min ! What is that ? It's not a high school project isn't it ? Please improved ASAP or else I will cancel the account. It doesn't help my business model.
CTCT Employee

Thank you for your feedback Catherine!  I have sent you my contact information, I would like to speak with you in further detail about how we can make the system better.   I look forward to the opportunity to better understand your needs!

FLi
It takes way to long to add 1 contact. Sometimes I just want to add 2 or 3 that I've received from an eamil. It takes way too long to go to contacts, select ADD Contact, then to actually add. And then do it all again. There needs to be a quick add button on the front page and then a "ADD ANOTHER CONTACT" option after you save the newly added contact. thanks
I am a longtime CC user. I am thinking of leaving however because of HOW LONG it is taking me to update my contacts. The website is making me wait at least 2 minutes each time I try to update one contact . It is maddening.
CTCT Employee

Thank you for reaching out to us!

We do have the option to "add another" contact when using the "add a contact" feature.  I have provided a link to an FAQ below that will walk you through how to do that.

Manually add an email address with contact details

If you have any other questions, please let us know!

CTCT Employee
Cosy, I am so sorry it was taking so long for you! There might be something we can do to help with the speed, but I need a little more information about what is happening so that I can help. Can you tell us which browser you're using and the speed of your connection? When you're ready to talk about it, please call the support team so that we can get this fixed right away. We can be reached at 855-229-5506 when you have a moment to chat!
There is a significant lag time when entering contact up to 3 minutes while is searches the existing contacts for duplicates. Hope this improves as something that would typically take me 5 minutes to add is taking about 30 minutes.

There actually seems to be an issue at this time with contacts as I cannot add any contacts for load the contact page.

CTCT Employee
Debbie, I am sorry you were experiencing an issue with getting that page to load properly. I would like to report this to my engineers so that we can get it resolved quickly, but I need a little more information from you. Can you tell me which browser you are using? Are you still experiencing a problem? Please call the support team at 855-229-5506 when you have a moment so that we can get this fixed for you! Thanks so much.
With the new updates, it now takes several minutes to even load the contacts link to start adding, and it takes much longer to load a list that it do before - almost prohibitively longer. Sarah Lewis Alumnae & Development Sweet Briar College slewis@sbc.edu 434-381-6373
CTCT Employee
Sarah, I am sorry this process has seemed slow for you. We're working to make sure that everything loads quickly and is easy to use, but can you tell us a little more about what you're working on? Are you manually adding contacts or uploading a list? Which browser are you using? When you have this information, I would like to invite you to call the support team for further assistance. We can be reached at 855-229-5506 when you're ready. Thanks so much!
Occasional Contributor
Trying to add a new contact and it just sits there!
Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have about 100 contacts to add to my list. They are stored in a database on my desktop, so I exported them to an Excel spreadsheet, printed it, and am entering each name and email "by hand." Now I find that every time I have a couple (i.e., "Joe and Susie Smith"), your software reads the "and" as the first name. I have to open each individual entry and put "and Susie" in the first name box, then save... Ah! but does that solve the problem? NO! I have to open the contact again and go through the process a second time. I've done this 3 or 4 times, and each time, I have to do it twice for the change to actually save correctly. This is not fun.
CTCT Employee

Hi Mary,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today, and for supplying your feedback to us. It is very important, and we highly value your opinion. There is currently a way to import your contacts right from the excel file that you have. This will shortcut you having to manually type in your contacts. This would also enable you to store the "First Name" for your contacts, with exactly whatever is in the "First Name" column of the spreadsheet that you import. When the system saves a contact, it will match whatever was in the spreadsheet exactly. Please don't hesitate to let us know any time you have questions, more information, or any feedback to give us! Don't forget, you can call our support team seven days a week at 866-289-2101.

CTCT Employee
Kathy, in order for us to offer some help with what is happening, can you give us a few more details? What browser do you use and what type of connection are you using (wired, or wireless)? When you have this information ready, please contact the support team here and we will be able to look into this with you and get it fixed! Please call us at (866) 289-2101 when you have a moment. Thanks so much!
I have been with your company for years. I could import contacts in a matter of minutes. You have made it so complected that now I have to delete all my contacts and start over. I am going to look for a new company that is more user friendly and does not keep changing everything all the time.
Established Member
1. Since the new contact management change, the contact import is taking way too long. We upload/update about 45,000 contacts at the begining of each month, and it use to take about 10 minutes to complete. Now it has been about 20 minutes and it has only updated less than 10,000 contacts. 2. Also, when updating an email list name, it use to display the name so that I can edit it, now I must re-type the name completely when updating it.
Always have to close out and reboot when I want to add new contacts! Takes forever to load always freezes trying to load. As for the merging of more than one group into one, why do I have to EXPORT the files just to IMPORT it!? I have nearly 600 groups I need to consolidate, you really think I have time for something that worked fine in the last system before this update?!
CTCT Employee

Thank you for taking time to give us some feedback about the new Constacts pages.  Please continue to vote for other ideas you think would be helpful. 

Our support team is available at 866-289-2101. Constant Contact’s Phone Support is available Monday – Thursday: 7a.m. – 11p.m. ET, Friday: 7a.m. – 9p.m. ET and Saturday – Sunday: 10a.m. – 8p.m. ET.

Use Live Chat or other Support options by visiting: https://ui.constantcontact.com/support/index.jsp

Occasional Contributor

I have noticed since all the 'upgrades' that importing from a list is remarkably slow. I will grant that we have a very large list, and my imports are often large (10k+, though 90% are typically duplicates). An import today with approx 12k lines that only included email address, no other contact data, took close to 30 minutes. That is not reasonable, especially considering the premium we pay (due to having a large list).

If you're going to tier pricing by list size (and as of late, increase prices to include services that we did not request and do not use), then you need to be able to handle the capacity of large lists quickly. 

The reason our upload contains so many duplicates is that I download from our customer database and upload the email addresses (this is permission based). We do not have the time or resources to compare lists so that I am only uploading new addresses - that is why we pay CC thousands of dollars a year for this service. 

This is happening in Google Chrome uploading an Excel list.

Occasional Contributor

While we're on the subject, Export is slow too. 

Took 1 hr, 20 min to export a "Did Not Open" report for one email campaign. (43500 contacts)

Honored Contributor

Thank you. We are aware that those that have larger lists are experiencing slowness in their accounts. This is something that our team is working on.

Honored Contributor

Just my opinion and  after reading  many of these posts here, since the new system was deployed things did get slow in most areas, I'm not sure if its code or architecture deficiency ( CTCT does know).

I'm unclear if you are talking about multi lists in your account or one.  Remember,  you are not only uploading a large amount of data but you are asking the host to do a line by line compare of your 12k records to check for duplicates. I have to believe that its creaming the already challenged system.

Have you considered the development of and running a macro on your side to remove the duplicate entries prior to uploading them all. This way you can use YOUR horsepower to do it and simply require  CTCT  to only deal with none duplicates?

You may have to do some housekeeping in order to help your self get this more managable.

Tony Schaefer
Accredited CTCT GOLD Solution Provider
Constant Contact All Star 2009-2010-2011-2012
www.cliquemarketing.biz

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the replies. The upload was to one list, our primary mailing list. 

I wouldn't know how to do what you're describing, but I'm sure I would have to export my existing list in order to do the comparison, and the export time is more than triple the import time. 

This is not a new issue for CC with large lists. There was a period about a year ago where we could not search our list, it timed out every single search and I was told that was due to list size as well. 

CC charges a premium for large lists, and recently forced all accounts over a certain size into an even higher tier pricing (with additional services that were not requested and that we have never used before or since). Efficiency should be a priority investment given the increased revenue. 

I have another client with a list less than 10% the size of my primary account, and list uploads are taking significantly longer for the smaller account as well. There is definitely a large scale problem. 

Occasional Participant
Hi, Adding contacts by copy/paste resultes in an endless turning timer - the only way to proceed is to wait 'a while' and eventually close the page. This is with Firefox latest version etc. etc. The contacts may have been added, but the process does not terminate on its own and it is hard to know just how long to wait before closing the page and losing the work. In any case navigating your site is slow compared to other sites we access. Thanks.
Visitor
Every time I add a contact to a list the spinning wheel appears and the black bakground forever?
All Star
Waiting over 30 minutes for a list export?! Yes, I hit refresh.
All Star
Waiting nearly an hour for export and import activity to be completed. Much too long. Yes, I hit refresh.
it's taking so long when saving. when you refresh, the contact you saved wasn't saved at all!
Please fix the slowness in adding and removing contact!
I am trying to add contacts to my site and the page refuses to load.