cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System fails to warn of overwriting existing contacts

0 Votes

System fails to warn of overwriting existing contacts

The current system does not warn that existing contacts will be overwritten which means that some valid data can be lost. Many "new" contacts simply don't know which systems they have signed up for because they simply don't pay attention. Even MicroCrap Outlook will warn you before overwriting a contact. How hard can this be? Skippy and Scooter in IT, are you listening?
22 Comments
Visitor
I wish Constant Contact did not automatically overwrite existing information with new data. We add contacts from lists compiled by various of our departments. Some people are better typists than others. Susie Snowflake may be in our contact list as ssnowflake@verizon.net. If she is on another list as ssnowflake@verixon.net the correct address is overwritten by an incorrect address. Then I have to go through our bounces and try to weed out the mistakes. Until the next import when I get to start over again. I wish an overwrite option popped up for each of these: Overwrite? Yes No
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thank you for your post. I do like that idea. If anyone else had the same idea please vote on this topic so that it gets implemented in the future.

Ken

Occasional Advisor
Status changed to: New

Occasional Contributor

There are two enormous problems with the uploading of contacts from a file that are easily fixed.

1) Option to NOT overwrite existing contact information - Scenario: I spend years adding detail to my contacts (job titles, phone numbers, etc.) then I need to upload a file with 500 contacts, many of whom are already in my database. This new file has incomplete data--phone numbers for some folks but not others, for example. I want to add as much data as I can to my database, of course. The PROBLEM is that if 300 phone number fields are blank, they will DELETE ALL OF THE PHONE NUMBERS that I spent years collecting. SOLUTION: Have a check box for "do not overwrite existing data".

2) Option to NOT upload existing contacts at all - Scenario: I want to make a list of new clients. My spreadsheet has all of my clients in it, with the new folks mixed throughout. So I have 400 people in my CC database. My spreadsheet has 500 people on it. I want to make a new list that only has the 100 new people. The PROBLEM is that it can't be done and, if I do upload all 600 names, the previously described problem happens. SOLUTION: Have a check box for "ignore existing contacts" when uploading a file.

This should take the development team a few minutes to fix, probably no longer than it'll take to drink a Red Bull or coffee. Make it so.

Occasional Advisor

Occasional Advisor

Seth,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such detailed feedback. I have set this as "vote for this idea if you agree" so that we can get other customer's opinion on this topic as well, see who else would like this implemented. I do agree with you that it does seem like an easy fix, and will make our developers aware that you are asking for this feature.

Ken

Occasional Visitor
Trying to add excel list of contacts that has some bad e-mails. Don't want to replace the good e-mails in our existing contact list(s). Need a way to disable the overwrite feature & have Constant Contact ask which to use before automatically changing.

HI Judith, 

Thanks for posting. When you import this file are you choosing to update or just add new?

Occasional Contributor

This has gotten buried in the voting area and I fear that the development team is just going to ignore it.

https://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Contact-Management-and-Contact/We-need-options-when-uploadi...

We need options when uploading contacts. Huge problem, easy fix.

There are two enormous problems with the uploading of contacts from a file that are easily fixed.

1) Option to NOT overwrite existing contact information - Scenario: I spend years adding detail to my contacts (job titles, phone numbers, etc.) then I need to upload a file with 500 contacts, many of whom are already in my database. This new file has incomplete data--phone numbers for some folks but not others, for example. I want to add as much data as I can to my database, of course. The PROBLEM is that if 300 phone number fields are blank, they will DELETE ALL OF THE PHONE NUMBERS that I spent years collecting. SOLUTION: Have a check box for "do not overwrite existing data".

2) Option to NOT upload existing contacts at all - Scenario: I want to make a list of new clients. My spreadsheet has all of my clients in it, with the new folks mixed throughout. So I have 400 people in my CC database. My spreadsheet has 500 people on it. I want to make a new list that only has the 100 new people. The PROBLEM is that it can't be done and, if I do upload all 600 names, the previously described problem happens. SOLUTION: Have a check box for "ignore existing contacts" when uploading a file.

This should take the development team a few minutes to fix, probably no longer than it'll take to drink a Red Bull or coffee. Make it so.