cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

Unsubscribe Reason should be included in export

Unsubscribe Reason should be included in export

there is no field for the unsubscribe reason when you export the information from the new contacts feature 

This is quite valuable information for record keeping reasons 

128 Comments
Status changed to: New
Hi Lynn, Thanks for sharing this idea. Please continue to vote on the topics you would like to see implemented.
You also can't see if they gave a reason. If these features are still available, I can't find them.

Hi Rachel,

Sorry for the confusion, you can see the opt our information as well as the reason in the reporting of your email. To see this click the Email tab > The reports link> the hyperlinked number of opt-outs next to the name of the email. You will see a list here of the contacts that have opted out as well as any reason they may have left. This is the only place you can see the reason but there is one other location where you can see the opt-outs.

If you click the Contacts tab on the left you will see a list of "Unsubscribes". You can click to view this list of contacts. Here's what this will look like:

unsubscribe.jpg

Please continue to vote on this and other topics you are finding confusing.

Thanks,

Hannah

Occasional Contributor
There is no where to see what reason they had for opting out. The old system use to have that and was easy to find. This new system is horrible.
Advisor

Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this. Please continue to vote on this and any other ideas you would like to see implemented.

Frequent Visitor
From the e-mail report, I can click on the Unsubscribed category and see the reason why someone unsubscribed, but when I then click on that contact, that reason doesn't appear there anywhere that *I* can find. This is a problem, because 6 months form now if I want to know WHY someone unsubscribed, I will have NO CLUE which e-mail caused them to unsubscribe! All I will know is their name, but I won't be able to find that information in their record. I even tried a work-around, copying the reason and pasting it into a note in that person's record, but it wouldn't let me copy - it just took me to the record! VERY frustrating! Am I missing something?
Advisor

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for posting. Currently, the unsubscribe reason is not available for viewing within a contact's details. I apologize for this inconvenience, as well as the trouble you are experiencing in trying your work-around. Adding this as a Note for a contact is a good idea. What I might suggest to be able to do this would be exporting the unsubscribe report by selecting the unsubscribed contact(s) and then clicking on the Export button.
Export_Unsubscribes.png

This will produce a file of the unsubscribed contacts with the unsubscribe reason, giving you the ability to now copy the reason and then paste into the Notes of that contact. I hope this helps.

Frequent Visitor
Hi, Eric!
Thanks for your help.  Your solution worked, but it seems like a lot of hassle to go through for something that used to be easily available under the old system.  Why the change?  It wasn't broken, so why'd you have to "fix" it?  I must say, I haven't yet found anything that's easier or better on the new system.  Nice graphics, but it doesn't WORK, which is the important part!
Sorry to complain, but... it's been bugging me!

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the feedback, Laurie.  The feedback in this forum is helping to develop changes in the future so keep your ideas coming!

The new view of contacts doesn't as user-friendly. I had a contact unsubscribe and I came to see if she left a reason why. I assume it would appear in the notes section, but there is nothing, so I assume she didn't say anything. It is not clear, however, if it would be viewed someone else.
Advisor

Advisor

Hello,

Thank you for posting. Currently the best way to view the reasons for unsubscribing would be to access them through Email>Reports. If you click on the linked number under that Opt-Outs category, you will be able to see those who opted out from that email. This will also provide you with the reason (if it is blank, they left no comment.) I hope this helps!

Unsubscribe_reason.png

Occasional Visitor

Where do I find "reason for unsubscribing"?

Great question! The Unsubscribe reason now shows in the report of the email that was sent. Click the Email tab of your account, the reports link and then the hyperlinked number of "Opt-Outs" next to the email name. You will see the opt-out reason (if given) on the right!

Thanks,

Occasional Visitor
When a contact opts out, they are given the choice to fill in a text box explaining their reason for opting out. As the manager of my list, I want to know what reasons people have for opting out. Apparently, it is not possible to find this given the current structure. Not in the activity log, export, or contact list. Please rectify and reply. Thank you! (Meanwhile, I *love* the new look and interface of Contacts. Amen!)
The new system does not display the opt-out reason. That is important information and need to be displayed.
All Star
not displayed properly. It is only ONE character wide... I C A N N O T R E A D T H I S C A N Y O U ?
Visitor
The old report format was user-friendly and set up perfectly. The new report format is totally fouled up in every respect. Previously, bounced emails were shown in the sequence they were added to the database. Thus, they were generally grouped in the folders that were added to the system. Now for some insane reason they are set up alphabetically by either name or email address, which is of no benefit on either account. It will make purging addresses from personal computer files four times as complicated and four times as time consuming. The new format no longer provides information on why people unsubscribed. When you try to print the lists of bounces, you get pages of worthless info and then when the email addresses finally print they show up as duplicates over and over again. The most glaring screwup is that there is no back button when you go to other pages. You then have to go to home and start the whole process all over again. It seems that you gathered a bunch of people in a room and brainstormed on how you could foul up the previous report system in every way imaginable, and then proceeeded to do it. Well, you succeeded.
it is difficult to find where the contact s who opt out gave reasons for doing so. I benefit from their feedback.
Can no longer see contacts who have been removed by administrator. In previous, we kept notes regarding date and reason for removal. This was helpful on a multiple levels for management of contacts.
All Star

And since that's such a terribly inefficient way for us to gather the emails of who has unsubscribed when and why, for purposes of considering removing those people from postal mailing lists unconnected with Constant Contact, you will soon  be restoring the prior data export mechanism...correct?

Your interface may look very pretty but it is not terribly practical.

CTCT Employee

Hi David. I do understand how cumbersome it can be to get that information. Thank you for your feedback. If this is something that enough users want, we will do our best to add it in.

Occasional Contributor
where are the comments from unsubscribes now hidden? and why does this feedback post-tool only allow certain entries to 'briefly describe your feedback field'?
When I import email addresses, I need to know exactly which emails could not be added (opted-out, etc). I need more than just the count.
Frequent Visitor
When someone unsubscribes, we look at their history to try and gage if the unsubscribe was accidental or on purpose. We find quite a few of our contacts do not intend to unsubscribe. If their history indicates to us they have not intended to unsubscribe, we sent them a personal email to find out if they did, indeed intend to unsubscribe. Now we can't do that and will likely lose some of these contacts.
Frequent Visitor
this new export file is a large step back in several ways...missing columns, poorly labeled, poorly organized.... it appears that the old (clearly labeled) column of 'Do Not Mail List Date' has been replaced with (poorly labeled) column 'Updated At'...also it is placed at the far right instead on the beginning like before. It should be first and next to the email address. i dont see two important columns - moved by and opt-out reason
Regular Visitor
the is no "reason" column
Frequent Visitor
Before the new contact format, we were able to select "opt outs" to view all of our opt-outs. I know you can now view it in Email Reports and click on each opt-out per that email... which we have been using constant contact for over 7 years. I tried running and exporting the unsubscribed contact list hoping to have a column that says whether it was an opt out or I removed it myself... but that column is not on the report. thank you.
Frequent Visitor
The reason column for unsubscribes is off the page and I cannot view without exporting the report.
Occasional Contributor
When I click on someone who has Unsubscribed, I no longer get the following information: - whether they added themselves to the list or whether the Admin added them - why they Unsubscribed, if they included a reason Where can I see this info? Why does it no longer appear? As very general feedback, I'm not crazy about the new changes... too many windows to toggle through and they take FOREVER to load.
Occasional Contributor
With the new contact layout, we are no longer able to see why someone has unsubscribed from receiving our e-mails - which is important for marketing purposes. If CC is all about outreach and improving marketing - seems like an oversight.
Showing the unsubscribe reason on the individual contact information page, instead of clicking through the individual emails and viewing the unsubscribed from there.
Occasional Contributor
there is no access to opt-out reason by customers which is important information.
Occasional Contributor
The new contact layout doesn't seem to indicate when or how someone was unsubscribed. Previously, it was very clear-- if they were unsubscribed, whether they did it or we did it, when it happened. Important info when trying to help a customer rejoin the list if they inadvertently took themselves off of it.
I really miss knowing how the contact removed (either by the system or the user) and the contact status as part of the search results.
Visitor
Improved Contacts Page To view contact comments by the email they unsubscribed from: I don't see a 'reasons' column Your insturctions: 1.After logging into Constant Contact, click Email > Reports. 2.Scroll down to the email with the unsubscribes you want to view. 3.Click the hyper-linked number in the Opt-Outs column for that email. 4.Any comments will be recorded in the Reason column for each contact.
Regular Visitor
Most third party email clients have expanded their unsubscribe survey to capture more detailed information as to why someone is unsubscribing. It would bring a tremendous amount of value to marketers to know why people are unsubscribing, i.e. frequency of messages, content, not applicable, etc.
With the new features, I can't read the feedback I'm receiving from those contacts who have just unsubscribed. Need this info. ASAP. Thanks.
Visitor
I'm really shocked to learn from your recent survey that there is actually a way to see WHY a customer unsubscribed after all of these years wondering where you hid that information. Then it took me almost 3 days sleuthing all over your site to finally figure out the only way you can see that information is as a report feature of individual EMAILS, not as a report feature of CONTACTS. This seems really stupid and illustrates one of the endless frustrations I have with Constant Contact and the ongoing changes you make to the site. You've made it harder and harder to use your service month after month by constantly changing where things or hiding things or making it difficult to remember where you've now decided a feature should live. I highly recommend and encourage you to stop the endless updates and instead roll out 1 or 2 maximum site overhauls a year. The tinkering on your end is just leading to frustration on your user's end and you're going to lose many of us if it gets anymore cumbersome to get the same mailings out to our customers that used to take 20 minutes and now seem to take an hour or two. Thanks for listening - I hope someone there will take this feedback to heart.
All Star
Don't like the new changes to email can't sort unsubscribed by date and don't see where the "reason" can be found. Occasionally, we'll get a note that the student has moved but more often when people unsubscribe they are trying to remove themselves from one list and end up blocking from all lists. I wish CC would have a place where it would ask are you sure you want to stop receiving ALL email or do you want to modify what emails your receive?
All Star
Contact Growth Report needs to be Per Email list and not per the entire account. I service multiple clients and need this info per client not per my entire account
Frequent Visitor
I cannot access the reason column!
Occasional Advisor
Doesn'[t appear to provide option for information about why subscriber didn't want the mail.
CTCT Employee

Occasional Contributor
It would be nice to see a column as part of the unsubscribed list so we can see the reasons people have left. I have only just learned we can see the reason if we click on an email and view the opt-out list (which does show reasons if someone leaves a comment) Please add this column to the unsubscribed list in the Contacts area so we don't have to open each individual email to find this info. Thanks
Occasional Advisor

I second that--have been thoroughly disappointed by removal of function for cosmetics

All Star

Me three. Please bring back showing the comment right with the email address in Contacts. The new way is time consuming and awkward. And I don't find the new look to be prettier.

Advisor
There appears to no longer be a reason for unsubscribing shown? Why has this information been removed?