cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Some customers are seeing intermittent errors when attempting to upload a new image or insert an image into their email. While we look into getting this fixed we have found if you try to reattempt your previous action, the image will be visible. We apologize for this inconvenience.

deleted contacts

deleted contacts

Please add date deleted as a choice to the deleted contacts page so that list can be sorted by most recent people who are no longer on list
90 Comments
CTCT Employee

When you are viewing a list and select a contact to delete, there is no option to delete them from just that list or all lists like we used to have. Can that be added back?

Status changed to: New

Hi Amber,

This option was removed when you check a contact and use the delete function but there is a way around it. Instead of clicking delete, check the contact and then click "Add to Email Lists". This will allow you to remove contacts from a specific list instead of deleting them from the account. There's an FAQ that goes into more detail if you would like to take a look: http://contacts.constantcontact.com/articles/FAQ/4886

Please vote on this if you too are looking for this feature. Any feedback on the workaround is appreciated!

I need to be able to delete all contacts from one list.  That option is no longer available.  I do NOT like this.  I am not going to remove contacts from a list one at a time so please do not suggest that.  I do not have time do it that way.  I work for a membership based organization.  Our membership changes on a daily basis.  I usually update our General Membership list in our Constant Contact account twice a month.  I MUST be able to remove all contacts from just one list without all the contacts being removed from our account completely.  Some of the contacts need to stay on our account because they are in other lists.  I have to import an updated email list to our General Membership list in Constant Contact to ensure that those members who left are no longer receiving our emails and have been removed.  I think Constant Contact needs to combine features from both the old setup and the new setup.  This way does not work.  It is not easy anymore.  Now I have to go back and fix my other lists because contacts were removed from them when I deleted the contacts from our General Membership list.  :smileysad:

Occasional Contributor

Agree with you guys. I just tried to update a list and remove about 5 contacts from one list... no way to do that except individually. Much more time consuming. =(

CTCT Employee

There is a function in Constant Contact to "move" contacts from one lists to another instead of just copying them.  First go to the list and either select all the contacts or just a handful.  From there click on the add to email lists and then you should see an overlay.  In the overlay the original list you are in should be checked off, if you don't want the contacts in that list anymore uncheck it then check your desired list.  This will remove the contacts from the original list and add them to the list that is checked off.

I also would like to delete a list of contacts rather deleting them individually.

Thanks for your feedback, Yvette!

All Star

It would be helpful if there was a more direct way to delete individuals from email lists. Clicking on "Add To Email Lists" and then unchecking to delete seems counter-intuitive and can be confusing.

Regular Visitor

I need to be able to delete all contacts from one list but not all the others. I appreciate the workaround, but it is not clear that that is how to do it. Have a remove from list option under More Actions would make a lot more sense.

CTCT Employee

Thanks for the feedback, please continue to vote if you agree!

**Removed By Moderator** is very annoyed by this also. She deletes contacts from a list on a regular basis. It then deletes off all lists. 

CTCT Employee
We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you, we are looking to make updates to this functionality in the near future.
Occasional Participant

I also miss the little button to remove form "just this list", THe work around suggested is annoying.

All Star
I could be wrong, but now it seems like I can't remove contacts only from a specific list. When I tried I could only remove contacts from ALL lists. That's really not a good feature as I often need to remove contacts from certain lists, but don't want to take them out of all instances.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your post. You can remove a contact (or contacts) from just one list now if you would like. To do this view your contacts in a list and check off the contacts you would like to remove from a specific list. All you will need to do is click the "Add to Lists" button and un-check the list the contact is in that you want to remove them from.

add to lists.jpg

Hope this helps!

All Star
A support tech suggested I post this comment here: The delete option for contacts really should give the choice to delete from just the list in question or from all lists like it did in the past. Right now, it only allows deleting from all lists and that's REALLY not good. I know that I can select the contacts, click on the "Add to Email Lists" button and from there I can check and uncheck the various list boxes. However, that is very counter-intuitive. It should be like it was in the past where you could choose what kind of delete you wanted. It makes no sense the way it is at present.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your feedback on this process. Please continue to vote on this and other ideas you would like to see changed in the future. 

Valued Contributor

I also have a very dynamic list system whereby I move contacts from one list to another.  One of the resasons for this is that we only have one autoresponder system with up to 10 emails.  So I have to create emails and lists that match.  I have, therefore, to remove the contacts that have received the email, and add the new ones. 

You have a great team of competent people who can simply give us back the previous system that works perfectly. 

You could perhaps, add some little features for improvement - as you usually do - instead of doing something so drastic that prevents us from working smoothly.

Please listen to us, as you usually do.

Hi Lucia,

Thanks for your feedback. The new process of moving contacts between lists is different but has been made simple! All you have to do is select the contact (or contacts) in the list by checking the box next to their name and then clicking the "Add to Lists" button. Once you have clicked this button the overlay window will appear and show you which lists these contacts are currently in. This will be indicated by a checkmark. If the list is not checked than none of the contacts you have selected are in that list. If the list box has a line through it then some of the contacts you have selected are in that list. Just check or uncheck any lists you want to add or remove contacts from. 

removalbounce list.jpg

Visitor
Is It possible to delete contacts from a specific list without having to go to each individual record?

HI Jaime, 

You can remove more than one contact (even all of your contacts) from a list if you would like.To do this, you will want to select all or some of the contacts in a list. You can take this action when you are viewing a specific list of contacts or all contacts. At the top of the page click the "Add to Emai Lists" button at the top of the page. On the overlay window you will see your lists:

Add to lists check and line.jpg

If the box next to the name of your list is checked off, that means all of the contacts you selected are in that list. If the box has a line through it, it means SOME of the contacts are in that list and if the box next to the list name is empty, none of the contacts are in that list.

From this window you can check the box to add all of the selected contacts to that list, un-check a box to remove the selected contacts from that list or change the dash line to a check or uncheck to add or remove the contacts.

Hope this helps!

Occasional Participant

I have a very dynamic system for moving contacts from one list to another. This is a day to day operation.  When my contacts complete the autorespondoers, some go to a list and other to another one.  Within those lists , because these are not autoresponders, I need to move them by groups. 

This is gone!

Do you realize how this affects our business? 

Hi Lucia, 

Have you tried the steps I listed above? This will allow you to move/add/remove contacts in bulk between lists. You can select an entire list of contacts or pick and choose contacts you would like to move. Please let me know if this works or if there is some additional feedback I can pass along!

Thanks.

Occasional Visitor

It was unclear on how to remove contacts from one list.  A rep help me resolve this issue.  However there needs to be a way to add contacts back to all lists they were in before.

Hi Julie,

I'm glad a rep was able to help figure this out for you. Do you think an undo button would solve this for you or are you envisioning something else? Thanks for any help you can provide, I'm happy to continue to pass it along for you!

All Star
The ability to remove contacts from a list has been removed. It needs to come back ASAP. I don't have time to go through a list and pick and choose the ones I want to remove. Please bring back the working code.
Advisor
Hi Steven, Thank you for posting. I just want to make sure I'm clear on what you're asking about. Are you referring to the ability to do bulk removal by use of a file or a different means of removing contacts from a list? My apologies for any frustration this may be causing.
Occasional Visitor

there should just be a button to delete a person from the list

Hi Maria,

You can delete a contact from a specific list using the "Add to Lists" buttons. Just check off the contact (or contacts) you want to remove, click the "Add to Lists" button and then uncheck the list you want to take them out of. 

Add to lists check and line.jpg

CTCT Employee

In addition to the tips Hannah has posted, I wanted to let you know that last month we added a new menu option to allow you to remove selected contacts from the list you're currently viewing.

Click the name of the email list to view the contacts in that list, then select the contacts you want to remove from that list. Click the More menu and click Remove from Email List. In the example I've pasted below, this will let me remove the selected contacts from the Food & dining news email list.

Hi! I can't find where this is implemented and a rep told me that it hasn't yet been made live. Can someone confirm that it is live and if so how to remove a group of contacts in bulk from a list (like in the former system of copy/pasting emails or uploading a spreadsheet with the email addresses you want to remove). Thank you!

Hi Karen,

I apologize for the confusion. I think we may be getting mixed up on the term "remove". With the updates there is no more remove option. You can delete contacts from your list or your account and add them back as you please. You can also unsubscibe a contact and prevent yourself from reimporting them. This is the same status a contact puts themseleves in when they opt out of your future emails. 

This thread was marked implemeted because after claifying, it seems like most people wanted to be able to bulk unsubscribe people. This was made available to help with this.  You do have to turn it on as a setting before being able to use it, here's how:

1. Click "My Settings" and under "Contact Settings" select "Enable advanced email permissions", click Save.

2. Click the Contacts tab of your account.

3. Click the Gold "Add Contacts" button and then choose "Add unsubscribed from a file". 

4. Choose your file and click continue

5. Map your data to the correct field, IE label email address, name, etc.

6.Click continue, add tags if necessary and click "Import"

You will need to confirm that you are importing these contacts to be unsubscribed, they will never be considered "Active" in your account.

There is not an option to upload a list of contacts to remove from another list like there used to be but you can complete these same actions from the "Add to Lists" screen. You will just want to go into one of the lists, select all, click "Add to lists" and uncheck the second list the contacts are in. This doesn't sound like what you are looking to do right now but I wanted to clarify.

Hope this helps. 

Regular Visitor
nope
Advisor
Hello, Thank you for your feedback. Are you referring to moving contacts between lists? Meaning deleting person from one list and then adding to another? I'm a little unclear of what this is referring to. If this is the case, here is a resource that may be helpful: http://contacts.constantcontact.com/articles/FAQ/4890.
All Star
I would like it to come back. I would like to remove all of the bogus email addresses that we added as a work-around to event marketing when we want to manually add people to our attendees who didn't have email addresses. Right now I'm forced to do it one at a time. Pretty time consuming.
Regular Visitor
Deleted contacts and Unsubscribed contacts are showing up in searches. Very confusing. Also previously they had the ability to mark contacts as permanently deleted or remove from list (can be added back). Now it appears that all deleted contacts are considered unsubscribed (permanently deleted).
Occasional Visitor

I am reviewing my list and I cannot delete contacts who are no longer valid.

Also, I was trying to download a list to review and there is no option for that. I am a volunteer and do NOT have any time to spend on this.

How is the best way to do this?

Occasional Participant

This has gone away? Yikes. I use CC one month every year and I rely on being able to subtract contacts on one list from other lists. Tell me that this isn't so.

UPDATE: Phew! I'm lucky I still have the old contact management system. So, I can remove a list of email addresses on a sub-list from a Master List. Thank goodness. I really really need that. I hope they don't "update" my account anytime soon.

Having a lot of issues adding/editing contacts. Lists are not appearing when needed; when clicking the "+" to "Add to Email List" it won't display all lists only about half; won't always allow me to start typing a list and have it generate in the drop-down; if I start typing a list and wait for the drop down I have instead created a new, unwanted list.... etc
Thanks for posting, I am sorry to hear of the frustration. You can still remove one list from another in the updated system. To do this, go into one list, select all of the contacts and then click the "Add to Email Lists" button. Uncheck any list you want to remove these contacts from and check off any lists you want to add the contacts to. If you see a dash though any list name this indicates that some of the contacts you selected are in that list. You can change this to a blank box or a check mark if you wanted.
Occasional Participant
Spoiler
I agree with this totally.   While working with my unopened list, I see quite a few that I would like to manage and the option is not there.
Spoiler
Can we go back to the old system until you work it out?
We need to be able to delete a contact from within the screen where we can view their engagement, without having to back up to the search results screen, then click the box, then select Delete from the More Actions menu. Too many steps, wastes time.
Hi - Just wanted to provide feedback on removing contacts. When you go to delete a set of contacts from a list - you only have the option of removing from 1 list or the entire account. It would be extremely helpful to be able to select specific lists (more than 1) to remove a group of contacts from. I just realized I deleted contacts from pre-created lists like Board Members, Event Participants that I didn't mean to because I wanted to remove members from my main Member List and a Master Merged List - and then populate those lists with an upload of a newly downloaded excel of member contacts. I now have to update a few other lists individually because I removed those contacts from the whole system. Thank you in advance for your consideration of this.
CTCT Employee
Please let us know if you are still having this issue.
All Star
Not intuitive on more action tab. Needs to be on first page
All Star
All of our lists have been scrambled because of your new interface. Trying to clean up the names that are incorrect, I have found that we can not delete them or remove them from the list. This needs to be fixed please.
All Star
We need to be albe to remove several e-mails at one time from a single email list. We have a membership, at the end of each month I have 10-25 names to remove and would like to list and remove them at one time as we were able to before
We should be able to delete a contact from the Unopened list in the report section. thanks

Thanks for this feedback, Bruno. You can't remove from this screen as we don't recommend deleting contacts who didn't open one email. We would suggest reaching out to see if they are still interested or you could remove them after they haven't opened several emails. Remember, there are situations where opens won't track too

Established Member
I would like the ability to upload a file of contacts and add them as unsubscribe. I enabled advanced permission settings in my account, uploaded the file and added the contacts, but when I hit confirm nothing happens. The button is null. So now I've added a list called DO NOT MAIL and upload contacts there and then I have to set them to unsubscribed 1 by 1. Very tedious.