cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

exclude tags when sending

exclude tags when sending

I see that we can limit the people on a list who receive an email by picking specific tags to send to. But is there going to be the ability to exclude tags? meaning ' i want to send to everyone on this list EXCEPT the 'platinum donors' tag' for instance
75 Comments
Advisor
Status changed to: New
Hello, Thank you for your feedback. This is a great idea. We currently just have the option to send to the tag but I can def see the use for send to everyone BUT the tag. Please vote on this and any other topics you would like to see implemented.
All Star
If you have one tag it's no big deal, but if you have many like I do it would help to see multiple tags in an alphabetic order.
Advisor
Hello, Thank you for your feedback on this topic. This is something that we are currently looking into making a change to. Please stay tuned for updates on this! Please continue to vote on this and any other topics you would like to see implemented.
Participating Solution Provider
Allow a feature to auto-update a tag with raw subscriber data. For example, suppose there is a field whereby the subscriber picks beginner or expert. They should automatically be tagged with this value. So, now emails can be segmented by expert and beginner, without manually data entry.
Advisor
Hello, Thank you for your feedback. This is a great suggestion. Is this something you would like to see instead of having custom fields? Or do you mean using the custom field that you create to automatically create a tag?
Frequent Visitor
I'd really like to be able to create and send emails based on tags. Even better, groups of people based on MULTIPLE tags. For instance, I'd like to send an email to all "male" clients and then another email to all "male" clients who live in "Oregon".
Thanks for this feedback. I am not sure how you have this set up but couldn't you mail to the list and JUST the tag called "Oregon" to send to these contacts.
All Star
Tags seem to have a lot of potential for helping us fine tune our lists. I love that I can narrow my list down, but it would be nice to expand that. For example, it would be nice to be able to send to contacts who have one tag but exclude those who also have another tag (in addition to the first one) -- so, email to contacts with atag but not btag. It would also be helpful if you had the option to select an and/or -- e.g., only email to contact with atag AND btag OR email to all contacts with atag or btag. There have been made times that I wished I could exclude someone from a list, and it feels like tags have the potential to make that happen. Though I have to admit that I don't want to have a million different tags to fine tune my list, which is why this extra functionality would help a lot. :smileyface:
Thanks for sharing this feedback. Excluding tags is something we are looking into and this is great for us to understand WHY this is wanted. We appreciate the detail! Stay tuned for updates moving forward and please keep sharing your ideas.
Visitor
Updating lists with new tags is difficult as ticking the box only works for 1 page at a time. At the end of each page, you need to save or else you lose all ticks done to the existing list.
Regular Visitor

error on page when trying to tag a current constact

Advisor

Hello,

I understand you are getting an error on page when you are tagging contacts, can you please walk me through the process? This way I can try to replicate the issue you are having, becuase we do currently have an issue where the page can continuously load based on how your tagging your contacts, I would like to see if its the same issue your describing. 

Please DM me directly, or post your comment here.

Mike

Tier 2 Community Support

Advisor

Advisor

Hello,

I was just trying to replicate this issue and it seems I am not able to recreate the problem.

When I go into managing my contacts I can check off a few different contacts go to the next page check a few more off and go back to the prior page the contacts remain checked. The only time I see the contacts becoming unchecked is when you apply your tag, which is normal this is done so you do not keep applying different tags to the same group of contacts. 

Please let me know if you are still having some difficulties, and DM me directly or reply to the post.

Mike

Tier 2 Community Support

Advisor

All Star

This would be a big help to managing contacts. I typically have many more people visit my site than those who place an order online.

It would be nice to be able to easily recontact those who have visited my site but have not yet placed an order. These are folks with a higher level of interest in my product than those who opened my email, but did not visit my site. With the current capability I have to tag the majority of contacts rather than tagging the smaller set of contacts who have ordered.

Occasional Visitor
Hi, We would like to be able to use the tagging function in reverse to allow us to exclude contacts who have already responded from subsequent mailings by excluding the tagged contacts, rather than narrowing the lists to only include tagged contacts. This would be a very valuable function. Best Dale Abrams Flying Cloud Institute
Visitor
It would be helpful to be able to organize email lists with subfolders as other email inbox folders are commonly organized. Our application would be to have a course we are currently offering as the main folder with the former years of that same class listed as subfolders.
You really need to add the option to exclude contacts based on tags. Or add a way to mark them temporarily as "do not mail"
It would be great to add a feature to allow us to exclude contacts from an email using tags!

There is no way to filter OUT people from a list that have a tag. If they belong to two lists, you have no way of knowing or managing them without going to each individual contact. Is there a way to Narrow by Tag people who do not have the tag.

Thanks for your feedback on this!

Visitor
Cannot see all tags below the list sections. You have to click on the last tag, pretend to be deciding to rename or delete, re-click the arrow to deselect, and then the next tag appears below. You have to do this several times to get to the whole list of tags.
CTCT Employee

Thank you for your feedback and I apologize that you are having difficulty with viewing your tags.  This is a known issue that our engineers are currently working to resolve.

Occasional Visitor
When I click on my Opens when I have sent a Newsletter, I used to be able to Click the top and they would go into alphabetical order. That function no longer is working and I can only do it by making a new List. Can you tell me if this will be changed back?

Hi Zoe,

This feature has been removed but thanks for your feedback about bringing it back! We will keep you updated when we know more. 

Advisor

You added the option to "view all email lists" under Cotnact Management - how about "view all tags"? I can see 10 tags on the list, but I have many, many more than that. This is one of the feature changes I like, but seeing ALL would be more helpful.

Thanks for this feedback, Kathy!

Occasional Contributor
It would be very to be able to narrow down a list by EXCLUDING tags, rather than including them.....
Visitor
In addition to utilizing tag lists to further segment email sends, it would also be helpful to have the tag list be an exclusion option from a larger list send. This would cut down on creating multiple lists if only certain members of the larger list may need specific sends.
CTCT Employee
Thank you so much to letting us know how you would like to use those tags! It is a new feature to our tools, so we definitely appreciate your feedback on it. I have submitted your request to my engineers so keep an eye out for that in the future. Thanks again!
Visitor
If I could select by list name the lists for certain emails in a save list name file and name that file, then each time I want to mail a certain, I could select that list package for the email rather than having to recheck all of the list name boxes. As you may know, when I copy an email to amend it slightly in a new email, the address lists do not copy along with it I have to do a lot of boring, repetitive box checking. I have a lot of lists. The other option would be to have a choice given when I copy an email to revise and send again - carry over address lists or don't carry over address lists. Thanks. John Bulbrook
CTCT Employee

CTCT Employee
Thanks for your feedback! This is a popular request. I will move your vote together with others who are requesting this so you can see any updates to this feature. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any more details or feedback to give us!

Occasional Visitor
It would be nice to be able to select tags that can be excluded as well as included.

I would like to exclude using tags as well.

Occasional Contributor
It would be helpful to be able to create particular Tags that allow us to *exclude* people from particular emailings. For example, when creating fundraising emails to send to everyone on General Interest list, but there are a few who don't want that type of email but DO want other General Interest emails. If we could select include this list, but *exclude* people with this Tag, that would be fabulous because that Tag could be used when creating any fundraising emails, regardless of which lists we use or create.
Established Member

It would be great if you could EXCLUDE by tag (instead of just including individuals with a certain tag). For example, our Board Members are registered (self-selected) to a number of our email lists. We'd like to exclude them from any fund-raising emails, however - which we send to all of our email lists. Currently, we have to combine all of our email lists into a new list and remove each member individually. If we could just exclude anyone tagged as "Board" from fund-raising emails, it would save us a lot of time!

All Star
I need to be able to select "not" and list a tag when sending to a list. Without this feature you have to jump through hoops of making new lists to accommodate exclusions. It would also be helpful to be able to expand a list the way you can in outlook groups and then remove one member. Please let me know if this is a project that is already being worked on and how long until you can solve this.
CTCT Employee

CTCT Employee

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on the new Contacts tools. We have let our engineers know about customer requests for excluding tags when scheduling emails.  Stay tuned for updates to this feature!  Please continue to share your ideas and vote for other ideas you would like to see developed. 

Our support team is available at 866-289-2101. Constant Contact’s Phone Support is available Monday – Thursday: 7a.m. – 11p.m. ET, Friday: 7a.m. – 9p.m. ET and Saturday – Sunday: 10a.m. – 8p.m. ET.

Use Live Chat or other Support options by visiting: https://ui.constantcontact.com/support/index.jsp