cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

way to distinguish blank from null content in field

0 Votes

way to distinguish blank from null content in field

I think I have some contacts where, instead of deleting an email address, someone just put blanks in the field (with delete key on keyboard) and then did Save. Is there a way to determine this in an export file? Or a way you can tell in the database? This may be why on an export, I get 3 columns of "email -other" but two of the columns are blank (or seemingly so).
8 Comments
Status changed to: New

Thanks for posting. The system won't allow for a blank email address to be saved as part of any list but you can currently have contacts without email address if you would like. It sounds like you will want to select the information you want to export instead of all. That will exclude the columns of information you don't want. 

All Star

The issue here is that when I do an export of all contacts, I have started getting two columns of "other email" ... but one of the columns is all blank.  That suggests to me that one or more contacts has two "other email" values.  But since there is no data value showing, I am guessing there is a blank value some place as opposed to a "null" value field.  But since you say blank for email doesn't work, I don't know what is causing export to give me 2 columns.  Other suggestions of what to look for?

All Star

I have some more information on this issue of "2 other email columns, one all blank".  I have been doing exports of various subsets of our contacts.  Some of the exports have the "2 other email columns" and some exports only have the expected 1 column for "email - other".  I have looked at the each of the contacts in the database on one of the lists that has "2 columns"  (only 67 to check instead of 1000+).  All but one of the records have usually just one email (other), some have a 2nd email (home or work).  But 1 contact has type "Person" next to the box of his email address. (I have a screen print but see that I can't attach it here.)  How do you get "person" as type?  What does it mean?  This person is also "unsubscribed" but other "unsubscribed" people don't have "Person" as an email type. 

I thought maybe this record was the cause of the 2nd column of "email - other" but not so.  If I do an export of "first name is Peter" (and he is on the list), there is no 2nd email - other column.  What is causing the bogus extra column with no data in it?

Advisor

Hey John,

Please see the message I left for you on your other post: https://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Contact-Management-and-Contact/Export-emails-in-wrong-colum...

Mike

Tier 2 Community Support

Advisor

Status changed to: Closed - No Action