Let's Talk About Marketing 
Discover new strategies from other small businesses and non-profits.
View tips and tricks, learn about trends, and how social media can help you.

Can you retain your customers today using the same old marketing?

by Contributing Solution Provider MarketingDoc on ‎08-28-2013 11:48 AM

Marketing
 is not a scienceAlthough your customers are real live peopleit can take many fields of 

science to get into their heads to see what theyre thinkingMarketing data and analytics are closer to a 

science and the data from the analysis is valuable to marketing.

Marketing MasterpieceTo me, marketing is an art. Just as in art, marketing should include some of the following activities to get a reaction:
* Creative
* Make an impression
* Involve a form of communication
* Market visually or in the written form
* A product to be touched or emotionally tied to

I know there are plenty more activities to add to this list and certainly would love to hear a choice or two from you at the end of this post.

An original rule of thumb related to science was to use many of the human senses in the delivery of your marketing message. This really helps your customers reinforce their purchasing decision of your product or service.

Marketing and colors of crayons for instance have a lot in common.

Just as there are many different shades of red or blue, there are a variety of activities to obtain and retain present customers.

Just as an artist, your marketing must have a vision and follow a plan on how the final picture should look. In the end, sometimes this final picture is great, other times so-so, and well, maybe it should be disposed of. No matter what the final drawing is, we rarely pin the blame or the success on the color of the crayons.

Use the correct marketing activities for the job you want them to do.

The crayons supplied the color as printed on their label. They did their job.

Looking back at the options a small business as yours has to market its goods and services, if a selected marketing program fails, more times than not the choice of the marketing activities selected is to blame.
There are many excuses, as you can imagine, but the failure is rarely the marketing manager or the team who built the plan and exhausted the budget.

The cure is relatively simple. A small business needs to spend more time learning customer traits and not casting blame solely on the marketing activities.

Limit your options and do your homework.

If you have ever seen a ®Pantone Color Chart, you know there are a gazillion color options to choose from. A person like myself who is color challenged, has a limited selection of colors to choose from for his work of art.

Marketing is no different. There are an endless stream of activities to use to reach the potential buyers for your goods and services, but only a select few people will buy. Limit your marketing activities based on client preferences.

So, keep in mind that marketing is an art. Not everyone will buy, so your marketing work of art must look like your best customers.

A Customer-Centric Marketing Strategy is a good canvas.

Today, a business must understand more about their customers and that’s even more than they understood in 2012.

Small business marketers should use a marketing strategy compiled with the right marketing activities which will attract the correct potential customers. The right marketing picture of your customers uses just the right colorful crayons to craft your company’s marketing work of art and increasing revenue.

Let me know what you think. Please share this post with your friends in other small businesses.

Everything marketing starts and ends with your customers… cater to them, listen to them and react to them. The results will amaze you.

MarketingDoc

800-251-3608

Marketing Communications Group

MarketingDoc

I have owned and operated a variety of businesses during my thirty plus years as an entrepreneur. Being a SMB, I have engaged with others to learn and understand how each one was operated. I have had an inquisitive mind my whole life. I have an associate degree in science, completed an apprentice program in carpentry, studied design at another college and received a four year degree in Marketing, and added a few post graduate classes as well. SMB's have used direct marketing and mail as their main channel of communications for many years. Now the swing of the pendulum of marketing has led many to the latest trends in digital marketing. Data drives all forms of marketing communication. However, raw data must be analyzed, segmented, profiled, measured and tested to make the data useful to marketing. Great direct marketing mail processing is like peeling an onion. There are many layers you unfold to get your desired results. The process is easy to understand, and once you learn it, you’ll see what the phrase, “a labor of love” really means. If you have a goal to learn more about your customers from each communication, you will see positive results stemming from each subsequent mailing. The people who complain the loudest about their results when using direct marketing mail is usually those that did not follow the process. Not following the process is like the baker who missed using the correct amount of yeast in a recipe for bread. She wasted a lot of dough. Learning and having the techniques and fundamentals of direct marketing is a valuable skill to have today. Direct marketing mail helps a SMB focus more on results while listening and learning what their customers want. What makes me different? I’m motivated to help every one of my customers use the right tools to meet their goals. In the present digital age, marketing coupled with technology is a skill set now in high demand. I have always embraced the use of technology with marketing.