cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here’s Another Chapter for Your Basic Guide to Better Direct Marketing –

Contributing Solution Provider

niche and target marketing equals higher advertising results.

Here’s why you do not send the same message to every customer. During the heyday of direct mail that was a common occurrence.  Getting less than one-percent response rate for a mailing was also a common occurrence. Using the same marketing message sent to everyone is not good advertising. Especially you, the #SmallBiz.

If you want your marketing to work 24/7, or at minimum having your message read, you need to change your approach to advertising. Advertising is a tactic of direct marketing.

Add a direct marketing strategy with a strong focus on customer needs is key.

I’d recommend using both niche and target marketing as a learning tool.

Some people use the words interchangeably. As the promotional noise gets louder and more frequent, it’s wise to look at each one separately. The following two definitions work well for a small business that is beginning, or already using, a customer-centric marketing strategy.

niche market is the separation of the total market on which a specific product is focused. Every product is defined by its market niche and usually a small grouping. Therefore, your niche market must be specialized, and built to survive among the competition from numerous companies.

For example, the I-Phone has a niche market for smart phones. People who enjoy a dark craft beer such as a stout or a porter, is another niche market.

target market is a group of customers which adhere to a specific common denominator that a company can label as a specific group or segment.

Some of the more common segments are geographic locations, demographic, such as age or income, behavioral and psychographic, such as values and lifestyles.

For example, if you are selling an electric car, you should target by income and even geographically. If the price is comparable to an introductory auto, that’s another story

Not every contact is the same.

Not every contact in your marketing list is the same. If your firm is already customer-centric, you already know that. However, in 2017, is the time to dig deeper into your data. As your marketing team spends some time studying your customers buying behaviors, they must find a few unique ways to segment your niche market contacts and target market segments.

In a recent article by Tom Ryan, “Seven Marketing Automation Predictions and Best-Practices for 2017” published on January 5, 2017, in Marketing Profs he writes;

“2017 is going to be a huge year for customer retention as companies fight for attention in an increasingly crowded market. Users and prospects are going to have a lot of choice, and they know it.

Companies will need to improve their customer service and tailor their marketing efforts so that they offer personalized experiences. And companies will realize that marketing automation is a fundamental part of their broader marketing strategies.” *

Plan to use more and better data management.

Every contact management system will allow your team to build a profile of each niche market and segment the contacts on how they use your products and services. This procedure lends itself to an easier analysis for determining the best way to segment all contacts.

If you are new to niche and target marketing, the goal at this point is to come up with a few workable segments. Your future attention and time will allow you to make each segment you build a profitable one and add another as needed. And update the older ones. Maybe even uncover a new niche market.

Set goals for the segment process.

As with anything good that comes from great marketing campaigns, it takes time to nurture a contact. The nurturing process may require added relevancy message for some contacts than others.

Using a specific segmenting process for your company helps your message break through the promotional noise, and for each contact, to become better acquainted with your #SmallBiz.

Do you use niche and target marketing?

Summary

More information is contained in the following links –

Customer-centric marketing strategy    

Looking for a lead generating program that lives up to admirable expectations? 

How to catch more customers… 

* Copyright © 2000-2017 MarketingProfs.com https://www.marketingprofs.com/articles/2017/31350/seven-marketing-automation-predictions-and-best-p...

Learning and Coaching – It’s what I do.

Want to learn more about direct and customer-centric marketing strategies and how it can add customers to your QuickBooks?

Check out are marketing evaluation program specifically designed for a small business. We’ll examine your present marketing, learn your goals and aspirations, and prepare a marketing plan for your company based on your information. As a reader of this post, we'll deduct $50 dollars off the regular price.

Thanks for reading. 800-251-3608 Email: answerme.dmcm.net

Mike Deuerling, aka: MarketingDoc

Marketing Communications Group, Inc.

Don’t procrastinate, eValuate. At times, some of the smallest changes in your small biz marketing, have the greatest impact.

Need more information on direct and customer-centric marketing? Sign up today for our monthly email, All Marketing Is Direct.

Our data policy: Short meaning. Any data shared with us, stays with us. Complete Privacy Statement

© 2017 by the Marketing Communications Group, Inc. All rights reserved worldwide. No part of this publication may be stored in a retrieval system, transmitted, or reproduced in any way, including but not limited to digital copying and printing without the prior agreement and written permission of the publisher. Photographs are purchased from such companies as I-Stock, Windows Clip Art, HubSpot, PhotoPin, DepositPhotos, Solid Stock, Unsplash or John Deuerling.

MarketingDoc

I have owned and operated a variety of businesses during my thirty plus years as an entrepreneur. Being a SMB, I have engaged with others to learn and understand how each one was operated. I have had an inquisitive mind my whole life. I have an associate degree in science, completed an apprentice program in carpentry, studied design at another college and received a four year degree in Marketing, and added a few post graduate classes as well. SMB's have used direct marketing and mail as their main channel of communications for many years. Now the swing of the pendulum of marketing has led many to the latest trends in digital marketing. Data drives all forms of marketing communication. However, raw data must be analyzed, segmented, profiled, measured and tested to make the data useful to marketing. Great direct marketing mail processing is like peeling an onion. There are many layers you unfold to get your desired results. The process is easy to understand, and once you learn it, you’ll see what the phrase, “a labor of love” really means. If you have a goal to learn more about your customers from each communication, you will see positive results stemming from each subsequent mailing. The people who complain the loudest about their results when using direct marketing mail is usually those that did not follow the process. Not following the process is like the baker who missed using the correct amount of yeast in a recipe for bread. She wasted a lot of dough. Learning and having the techniques and fundamentals of direct marketing is a valuable skill to have today. Direct marketing mail helps a SMB focus more on results while listening and learning what their customers want. What makes me different? I’m motivated to help every one of my customers use the right tools to meet their goals. In the present digital age, marketing coupled with technology is a skill set now in high demand. I have always embraced the use of technology with marketing.