cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Happy Turkey Day! In recognition of Thanksgiving our Support office will be closed Thursday (11/23). We will be open Friday (11/24) for limited hours (10:00am - 6pm ET) and will be back to normal hours on Monday (11/27).

How to Create A Great Opening Line…

Contributing Solution Provider

from networking to your direct marketing toolset.OpeningLine_web.jpg

Picture yourself at a business or social networking event. You are confident in finding people to meet. Suddenly, out of the corner of your eye, you see a couple talking. Not just talking but using body language, quick hand gestures, while pointing to something on a nearby easel.

You decide to check out the action between the two people and hope they're are interesting enough to engage with. Always on the lookout for engaging with people, it’s the little things people say or do, that opens a door for you to meet prospects.

What’s a good opening line?

Networking events have changed over time and even today, business people are looking for sources to help them and their business grow. At a typical networking event, you’ll meet people for business leads, funding, investors or referrals, just about anyone who’ll fit your reason for attending the event. You need a good opening line.

The same is true with direct marketing. In fact, you need two. The first one helps you make eye contact – to attract attention. The second one delivers your payoff – that is, the benefit your prospect receives.

So, think of your headline writing as having two parts. There’s the “what it is” part and the “how it benefits” part.

Here’s a good example.

Our amazing wealth-builder system helps you gain complete financial freedom overnight.

First you’ve told your readers that you have a system – a solution, answer, or idea. And you’ve told them what it’s going to do for them – the payoff. In this case, it’s financial freedom.

While you’re at it, you also need a good closing line.

“Would you like to meet at your office next week on Wednesday or at our office on Thursday?”

In your direct marketing copy, your closing line needs to be a dynamic call-to-action. It needs to let your readers know exactly what you want them to do (to order, call or respond).

And it needs to let them know when you want them to do it – now. There is no better time than now, is there?

Elementary, yes. 

But elementary is often overlooked. Sometimes the smallest change you make in business networking or in using your direct marketing tactics, can yield many results, long and short term included.

Today’s small business marketing environment is ideal.

First, remember that advertising is a tactic of marketing. Everything marketing starts and ends with your customers. You need to listen to them and respond to them. Customers are willing to share their thoughts about your products.

If you believe that this is the “age of the customer,” then it’s the perfect time for you to behave like a customer you would love to have as a customer. So, ask them!

As a marketer, the purest, most simple goal you should have is to get a potential customer to receive your marketing message, read the message and make a purchase. Direct marketing’s PROVEN strategy and tactical tools were developed for getting customers to respond to your message.

There are many advertising tactical tools available for any small business.

To get a better understanding of direct marketing with a customer-centric marketing strategy, it's worth a visit. Follow the link for Trait Number One and a tab away from Trait Number Two and Number Three.

In summary…

Knowing what type of marketing works well today is not a guarantee for tomorrow. However, when you stay true to your commitment on gaining a better understanding of your customer’s needs and wants, you’ll always know when a change is in the wind and how to react to it.

Check out a recent post about another view of direct marketing.

“How to use direct and digital marketing to reach a more attentive audience that will buy your produ...

Learning and Coaching – It’s what I do! How can I help you?

Thanks for reading.

Don’t procrastinate, eValuate!

At times, some of the smallest changes in your small biz marketing, have the greatest impact.

Need more information on direct and customer-centric marketing? 

Mike Deuerling, aka: MarketingDoc md@dmcm.netDocTake4Web.png

Marketing Communications Group, Inc.

800-251-3608

Our data policy: Short meaning. Any data shared with us, stays with us. Complete Privacy Statement

© 2017 by the Marketing Communications Group, Inc. All rights reserved worldwide. No part of this publication may be stored in a retrieval system, transmitted, or reproduced in any way, including but not limited to digital copying and printing without the prior agreement and written permission of the publisher. Photographs are purchased from such companies as I-Stock, Windows Clip Art, HubSpot, PhotoPin, DepositPhotos, Solid Stock, Unsplash or John Deuerling.

MarketingDoc

I have owned and operated a variety of businesses during my thirty plus years as an entrepreneur. Being a SMB, I have engaged with others to learn and understand how each one was operated. I have had an inquisitive mind my whole life. I have an associate degree in science, completed an apprentice program in carpentry, studied design at another college and received a four year degree in Marketing, and added a few post graduate classes as well. SMB's have used direct marketing and mail as their main channel of communications for many years. Now the swing of the pendulum of marketing has led many to the latest trends in digital marketing. Data drives all forms of marketing communication. However, raw data must be analyzed, segmented, profiled, measured and tested to make the data useful to marketing. Great direct marketing mail processing is like peeling an onion. There are many layers you unfold to get your desired results. The process is easy to understand, and once you learn it, you’ll see what the phrase, “a labor of love” really means. If you have a goal to learn more about your customers from each communication, you will see positive results stemming from each subsequent mailing. The people who complain the loudest about their results when using direct marketing mail is usually those that did not follow the process. Not following the process is like the baker who missed using the correct amount of yeast in a recipe for bread. She wasted a lot of dough. Learning and having the techniques and fundamentals of direct marketing is a valuable skill to have today. Direct marketing mail helps a SMB focus more on results while listening and learning what their customers want. What makes me different? I’m motivated to help every one of my customers use the right tools to meet their goals. In the present digital age, marketing coupled with technology is a skill set now in high demand. I have always embraced the use of technology with marketing.

Loading script asynchronously