Let's Talk About Marketing 
Discover new strategies from other small businesses and non-profits.
View tips and tricks, learn about trends, and how social media can help you.

How to build great customer and prospect relationships…

by Contributing Solution Provider MarketingDoc on ‎03-08-2017 01:19 PM

WorkTogether_40419435_web.jpg

which will open many new opportunities for success!

How many soliciting calls do you get in a single day? If you have a good phone screener, probably not a lot. As I talk with other business owners I hear similar responses.

• Someone mentioned they all turned to email.
  • Another said she found a lot of selling on Twitter.
  • Another told me there are way too many ads popping up on his computer screen.

Maybe I am seeing an opportunity for all of us. The opportunity I am talking about is using time to build better relationships with your customers. Or even better, solidify some less than better relationships with your customers.

If you recently deployed some exciting and relevant direct marketing programs, now is a good time to follow up and share.

Why to consider better follow-up.

Whether you follow up in person, email or on the phone, our human nature and our curiosity pushes us to want to Concerned_owner copy.jpgknow that our prospects received the communication we deployed, that they reviewed and read it.

So, naturally the first question that often comes to mind and the first one that comes out of our mouth is, “What do you think? What do you like?”

It’s a good question. However, it’s a wide-open question. It’s so wide that it opens the door to hearing things you may not want to hear.

• “I don’t think it’s legal.”
  • “I don’t have time?”
  • “Who are you? Oh, you need to speak with Tom. Click”
  • “I know all about that. It’s a pyramid scheme that began down in Nigeria. They take your money and you never hear from them again.”

Okay, that last one was a stretch.

However, by asking the question, you’re asking your prospects to analyze and critique your offering. This is something you may not want to do. Your prospect’s may not be qualified to give you a truly educated answer.

You’re asking your prospect to enter a conversation or discussion about a product or service they know nothing about. Even worse, a “what-do-you-think?” answer can take you off on a tangent that is totally irrelevant to your product, your sales message, and your opportunity to increase relationships.

Instead, try asking your follow up questions this way: “What do you like best? What do you like best about the newStrategy-300x300.png program? What do you like best about what you’ve read, about the product, the offer, the service or the idea.” When you ask in this way, your prospects come right out and tell you their “hot buttons.” Now you are building a better way to a budding relationship.

• “I liked the color choices.”
  • “I liked that free return and my money back with no questions asked within the first 45 days after my purchase!”
  • “I liked that five-year warranty.”

Then, just as the Apple Store opened their doors for the brand-new I-Phone, an opportunity opens for you to sell those positive factors that your prospects find so appealing. You reinforced their “like” instead of handling objections.

Summary

Give it a try. Then let us know what you like best about using this strategy. By the way, do tell us about how many new relationships occurred using this strategy.

Learning and Coaching – It’s what I do.

Want to learn more about direct and customer-centric marketing strategies and how it can add customers to your QuickBooks?

Check out are marketing evaluation program specifically designed for a small business. We’ll examine your present marketing, learn your goals and aspirations, and prepare a marketing plan for your company based on your information. As a reader of this post, we'll deduct $50 dollarsoff the regular price.

DocTake4Web.pngThanks for reading. 800-251-3608 Email: answerme.dmcm.net

Mike Deuerling, aka: MarketingDoc

Marketing Communications Group, Inc.

Don’t procrastinate, eValuate. At times, some of the smallest changes in your small biz marketing, have the Marketingeval_logo4Web.gifgreatest impact.

Need more information on direct and customer-centric marketing? Sign up today for our monthly email, All Marketing Is Direct.

Our data policy: Short meaning. Any data shared with us, stays with us. Complete Privacy Statement

© 2017 by the Marketing Communications Group, Inc. All rights reserved worldwide. No part of this publication may be stored in a retrieval system, transmitted, or reproduced in any way, including but not limited to digital copying and printing without the prior agreement and written permission of the publisher. Photographs are purchased from such companies as I-Stock, Windows Clip Art, HubSpot, PhotoPin, DepositPhotos,

Solid Stock, Unsplash or John Deuerling.

Click.Free.Zone.png

MarketingDoc

I have owned and operated a variety of businesses during my thirty plus years as an entrepreneur. Being a SMB, I have engaged with others to learn and understand how each one was operated. I have had an inquisitive mind my whole life. I have an associate degree in science, completed an apprentice program in carpentry, studied design at another college and received a four year degree in Marketing, and added a few post graduate classes as well. SMB's have used direct marketing and mail as their main channel of communications for many years. Now the swing of the pendulum of marketing has led many to the latest trends in digital marketing. Data drives all forms of marketing communication. However, raw data must be analyzed, segmented, profiled, measured and tested to make the data useful to marketing. Great direct marketing mail processing is like peeling an onion. There are many layers you unfold to get your desired results. The process is easy to understand, and once you learn it, you’ll see what the phrase, “a labor of love” really means. If you have a goal to learn more about your customers from each communication, you will see positive results stemming from each subsequent mailing. The people who complain the loudest about their results when using direct marketing mail is usually those that did not follow the process. Not following the process is like the baker who missed using the correct amount of yeast in a recipe for bread. She wasted a lot of dough. Learning and having the techniques and fundamentals of direct marketing is a valuable skill to have today. Direct marketing mail helps a SMB focus more on results while listening and learning what their customers want. What makes me different? I’m motivated to help every one of my customers use the right tools to meet their goals. In the present digital age, marketing coupled with technology is a skill set now in high demand. I have always embraced the use of technology with marketing.