cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Happy Turkey Day! In recognition of Thanksgiving our Support office will be closed Thursday (11/23). We will be open Friday (11/24) for limited hours (10:00am - 6pm ET) and will be back to normal hours on Monday (11/27).

How to sharpen your copywriting…

Contributing Solution Provider

hall-of-fame.pngand learn how direct marketers elaborate using the most important (fill in the blank) _________.

The Hall of Fame of Great Communication of Letters is filled with examples of effective sales letters – the pivotal component of almost every direct marketing and mail program. They also work well with email, websites, landing pages, digital marketing, and social media.

So, what can we gain by studying these great sales letters of all time?

Let’s see what they have in common.

Personalization.jpgSome of the best writers believe in setting the stage with a slow build up or by developing a logical argument and rationale.

However, the top-prize winners in the Hall of Fame almost always promise the most important benefit or payoff in the headline, opening sentence or first paragraph. This states exactly the offer and what the reader can gain from it. Think about it. It’s hard to go wrong by leading with your strongest and most important reader benefit.

Immediately following the opening paragraph, the Hall of Fame letter experts expand on the most important benefit expressed in the opening. This is critical. After all, a great opening need to be supported. So, these letters or any other marketing message, elaborate on the most important benefit before moving on to lessor claims.

Then, the experts tell their readers exactly what they are going to get. No questions are left unanswered. In fact, the copywriting that doesn’t make it to the Hall of Fame lack specifics on basic features – size, color, weight, sales term, and so on.

The copywriting experts always back their claims.

Hall of Fame copywriters understand that today’s prospects are inundated with messages and skeptical about advertising. So, these copywriters back their own statements with third party testimonials or in a list of satisfied customers. When they do, everything they say about the validity of their offer becomes more believable.Testimonials.png

Next, they address the issues of fear and lack. The writers tell their readers what they stand to lose if they don’t act now. Think about it. People don’t like to be left out. They don’t like to worry, so the Hall of Fame writers incorporate an understanding of the powerful influence of this human trait.

Before closing their copy, the experts summarize the primary benefits from their opening lines. The stronger the benefits, the more they know they can persuade a reader to respond and say. “Yes.”

Keep stirring stiring.jpgthe action.  

Finally, the Hall of Fame writers strive to kick up the action – to obtain a nearly instantaneous response. Experience writers, mailers and direct marketers know that once a letter is set aside for later consideration, they’re out of luck. The window of opportunity is closed. So, the experts always wind up with a call for action now – and a logical reason for their recipients to act immediately.

In this article, we talked about Hall of Fame writers and sales letters. Good copywriting is the key for convincing people to buy your product. Today, we have more channels of communication to reach more people. In the era of digital marketing we now reside in, good copy and using the techniques of direct marketing presented in this post, can win over a customer almost every, single time.

Summary

The fill in the blank answer in the subhead is -- your product and service benefits! Today, you are learning more about your customers. The customer data collected may be full of surprises, but none are better than a satisfied customer telling you!

Another how-to guide using direct marketing and mail for a #SmallBiz success during 2017. Start collecting them now!

Teaching and Coaching – It’s what I do. What can I do for you?

Want to learn more about direct and customer-centric marketing strategies and how it can add customers to your QuickBooks?

Check out are marketing evaluation program specifically designed for a small business. We’ll examine your present marketing, learn your goals and aspirations, and prepare a marketing plan for your company based on your information. As a reader of this post, we'll deduct $50 dollarsoff the regular price.

Thanks for reading.

DocTake4Web.png

800-251-3608 Email: answerme.dmcm.net

Mike Deuerling, aka: MarketingDoc

Marketing Communications Group, Inc.

Don’t procrastinate, eValuate. At times, some of the smallest changes in your small biz marketing, have the greatest impact.

Need more information on direct and customer-centric marketing? Sign up today for our monthly email, All Marketing Is Direct.

Our data policy: Short meaning. Any data shared with us, stays with us. Complete Privacy Statement Available.

© 2017 by the Marketing Communications Group, Inc. All rights reserved worldwide. No part of this publication may be stored in a retrieval system, transmitted, or reproduced in any way, including but not limited to digital copying and printing without the prior agreement and written permission of the publisher. Photographs are purchased from such companies as I-Stock, Windows Clip Art, HubSpot, PhotoPin, DepositPhotos, Solid Stock, Unsplash or John Deuerling

MarketingDoc

I have owned and operated a variety of businesses during my thirty plus years as an entrepreneur. Being a SMB, I have engaged with others to learn and understand how each one was operated. I have had an inquisitive mind my whole life. I have an associate degree in science, completed an apprentice program in carpentry, studied design at another college and received a four year degree in Marketing, and added a few post graduate classes as well. SMB's have used direct marketing and mail as their main channel of communications for many years. Now the swing of the pendulum of marketing has led many to the latest trends in digital marketing. Data drives all forms of marketing communication. However, raw data must be analyzed, segmented, profiled, measured and tested to make the data useful to marketing. Great direct marketing mail processing is like peeling an onion. There are many layers you unfold to get your desired results. The process is easy to understand, and once you learn it, you’ll see what the phrase, “a labor of love” really means. If you have a goal to learn more about your customers from each communication, you will see positive results stemming from each subsequent mailing. The people who complain the loudest about their results when using direct marketing mail is usually those that did not follow the process. Not following the process is like the baker who missed using the correct amount of yeast in a recipe for bread. She wasted a lot of dough. Learning and having the techniques and fundamentals of direct marketing is a valuable skill to have today. Direct marketing mail helps a SMB focus more on results while listening and learning what their customers want. What makes me different? I’m motivated to help every one of my customers use the right tools to meet their goals. In the present digital age, marketing coupled with technology is a skill set now in high demand. I have always embraced the use of technology with marketing.

Loading script asynchronously