cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Heart of Any Direct or Digital Marketing is More Than a List of Names…

Contributing Solution Provider

It’s a major element for your marketing success.

olympic_silhouette_heart.pngLists grow. Some by duplicate records. Sometimes they grow one record at a time. At other times, they grow because your customers are growing. Maybe you decided on bringing two list together and combining them into one.

When two lists are combined, they bring with them the phenomenon of duplicate records. If using direct mail, the costs of two letters or mail pieces going to the same recipient, equals twice the postage and the cost of materials are wasted.

No sooner than the time it takes to reach your mailbox, all digital skeptics reached for their can of “All-get-out of traditional advertising - move to digital" to rid them of all bad marketing thoughts. Am I this naive to assume that the digital marketers has list of buyers, customers and prospects?

How do they communicate with their customers?

CustomerList.jpgOK digital geeks, I will not tell on you, so keep reading to learn how to make your lists, traditional or digital, produce better marketing results.

The correct answer is “de-duping.”

So, you need to get rid of one of the duplicate records. And the answer is “de-duping.” Or is it?

In the typical deduping process, one record is judged to be a duplicate of the other. One, often the older or the one with partial or less complete information, may be discarded completely.

For example, Jane Doe on Main Street may appear in two different marketing lists. However, one may include her email address; the other may contain her place of employment.

In a traditional deduping activity, one of the two records go away entirely in the time it takes to hit the delete key on your keyboard. This means that something will be lost – either the email address or the place of employment.

Is it time to use the blender?

Rather than throwing away an entire record, think in terms of bringing together information of both records in both databases – of gathering, consolidating and blending all information equals

"a custom mix or marketing lists."

Blended.jpg

Using your database techniques, you can combine two or more lists into a single, targeted database – a single blended database that has more value and more information. The blended database – now complete and accurate, and containing all available and relevant data – saves you time and money.

De-duping is often a viable strategy when you have two lists coming together for a one-time mail drop or email. But, if your mission is to develop a workable database of prospects and customers, gathering and consolidating data will add significantly more value to your database.

You’ve read it here on numerus occasions it always pays to invest in data management to build a better database. In fact, that investment in developing and maintaining great marketing lists may be the best thing you can do to increase the overall effectiveness of any direct marketing activity.

If a digital marketer does not use lists, what’s their secret?

Summary

Give it a try. Then let us know what you like best about using the de-duping tool. Or if you consistently use the blended method, could you share your experience.

Learning and Coaching – It’s what I do. 

Another how-to guide using direct marketing and mail for a #SmallBiz success during 2017.

Want to learn more about direct and customer-centric marketing strategies and how it can add customers to your QuickBooks?

Marketingeval_logoV3-e1380036160871.jpgCheck out are marketing evaluation program specifically designed for a small business. We’ll examine your present marketing, learn your goals and aspirations, and prepare a marketing plan for your company based on your information. As a reader of this post, we'll deduct $50 dollars off the regular price.

Thanks for reading.

MktgDoc.png 

800-251-3608 Email: answerme.dmcm.net

Mike Deuerling, aka: MarketingDoc

Marketing Communications Group, Inc.

Don’t procrastinate, eValuate. At times, some of the smallest changes in your small biz marketing, have the greatest impact.

Need more information on direct and customer-centric marketing? Sign up today for our monthly email, All Marketing Is Direct.

Our data policy: Short meaning. Any data shared with us, stays with us. Complete Privacy Statement © 2017 by the Marketing Communications Group, Inc. All rights reserved worldwide. No part of this publication may be stored in a retrieval system, transmitted, or reproduced in any way, including but not limited to digital copying and printing without the prior agreement and written permission of the publisher. Photographs are purchased from such companies as I-Stock, Windows Clip Art, HubSpot, PhotoPin, DepositPhotos, Solid Stock, Unsplash or John Deuerling.

MarketingDoc

I have owned and operated a variety of businesses during my thirty plus years as an entrepreneur. Being a SMB, I have engaged with others to learn and understand how each one was operated. I have had an inquisitive mind my whole life. I have an associate degree in science, completed an apprentice program in carpentry, studied design at another college and received a four year degree in Marketing, and added a few post graduate classes as well. SMB's have used direct marketing and mail as their main channel of communications for many years. Now the swing of the pendulum of marketing has led many to the latest trends in digital marketing. Data drives all forms of marketing communication. However, raw data must be analyzed, segmented, profiled, measured and tested to make the data useful to marketing. Great direct marketing mail processing is like peeling an onion. There are many layers you unfold to get your desired results. The process is easy to understand, and once you learn it, you’ll see what the phrase, “a labor of love” really means. If you have a goal to learn more about your customers from each communication, you will see positive results stemming from each subsequent mailing. The people who complain the loudest about their results when using direct marketing mail is usually those that did not follow the process. Not following the process is like the baker who missed using the correct amount of yeast in a recipe for bread. She wasted a lot of dough. Learning and having the techniques and fundamentals of direct marketing is a valuable skill to have today. Direct marketing mail helps a SMB focus more on results while listening and learning what their customers want. What makes me different? I’m motivated to help every one of my customers use the right tools to meet their goals. In the present digital age, marketing coupled with technology is a skill set now in high demand. I have always embraced the use of technology with marketing.