cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A - B Testing

SOLVED
Participating Solution Provider

A - B Testing

I want to start testing subject lines.  I have a list of 24,000 subscribers about 18% open all the time.  How do I create the list for the A:B test?

Sincerely,
Ray Higgins
Cybermail Marketing
ray@cybermailmarketing.com
17 REPLIES 17
Honored Contributor

Re: A - B Testing

Hi Ray,

A/B Testing is manual process but it can be done by :

1. Create two new test contact lists in Constant Contact.
  2. Copy (not move) or import one half of your contact list into each test list.
  3. Create two copies of your next email: "Copy A" and "Copy B".
  4. Send Copy A to one-half of your contact list at a time of day or week that you believe will be popular. 
  5. Send Copy B to the other half of your list at a different time of day or the week.
  6. Compare the open rates for each email about 48 hours after each one is sent.
  7. Repeat steps 1-5 a few times to determine which days of the week and times of day result in the best open rates.

I hope this helps,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

Hi Jarrad, I did just that but my client wants me to make two lists n=250 from 28,000 subscribers.  Then he wants me to do an A/B test on those two lists.  In 12 hours he wants to decide which copy proved better.  Then he wants to use that format to send to the whole population.  How do I pull two lists of 250 each without sending them an email twice?  ...once with the test and once when we do the full send?

Sincerely,
Ray Higgins
Cybermail Marketing
Honored Contributor

Hi Ray,

What you can do is create the two lists of 250 contacts each and send out your email. Once you've created the two lists of 250 contacts each, merge your 28,000 contacts list into a new list. This essentially makes a copy of your master list.The master list will remain untouched.

Once you've merged the master list, export the two smaller lists which have 250 contacts in each. Once exported, you will be able to remove those contacts from the copied master list of 28,000 contacts by clicking Remove and uploading each file so that those contacts are removed from the copied master. Now that you have removed the contacts from the copied master list, you can send out your email.

If this doesn't make sense please let me know.

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Whew!  I'm getting my head around it. Create two blank lists: A and B.  Make a copy (merge) of the original master list. Populate Lists A and B and export them.  Then "Remove" them (which leaves the original master and the merged copy master untouched?) ....can you call me?   Thanks!

Sincerely,
Ray Higgins
Cybermail Marketing
Honored Contributor

It was nice chatting with you Ray!

Thanks,

Jarrad

Highlighted

Thank you Jarrad,  However, I found that when you "remove" someone you have only two choices:  "Remove them from just this list" or "Remove them from all lists."  So, I must remove them from "all lists" and then upload them back to the original master list as well as the A or B list from which I removed them.  Thank you for your help.  It is convoluted but it works!

Sincerely,
Ray Higgins
Cybermail Marketing
Visitor

Integrated A-B testing option would be a great feature for CTCT to add!

Regular Visitor

That's a lot of work to do a test...I can't even be bothered. I agree, an integrated option would be very helpful. I use another email provider when I want to do testing which does offer the integrated feature, and even automatically send the test that "won."

I see this is an old thread, but I am starting some A/B testing for our contact lists. We have subscribers automatically dumped into our "general interest" list via a form on our website. Will I have to continually check that list and dump the new addresses into the A/B lists every time someone signs up? Is that the only way to keep my test lists up-to-date?

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!