cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

A way to personalize? (ie mail merge)

SOLVED

Contact fields in "Add Contacts from File" import do not match fields in "Insert Contact Details"

Contact fields in "Add Contacts from File" import do not match the available fields in "Insert Contact Details" for emails.

Custom Fields not showing up in emails

I insert the custom fields using Insert Contact Details but they come out blank every time.
CTCT Employee

Re: Custom Fields not showing up in emails

Hi there TamarM, 

Please verify that this is the method you are using to insert contact details. Then, please keep in mind:

a) you must make sure that this field is filled out in the the contact profile of your contacts, or there will be no information to display

b) You will not be able to test this bu sending yourself a preview. You have to send it in a live send, so to test it: Create a Test List with your own personal/business email in it, and send the draft to yourself and verify that the Contact Details are displaying. Then, make a copy of the one you just sent to yourself to the send out to your lists. 

If you are in need of further assistance, for this kind of situation it is best done with a support representative in a live environment. Please call them for further assistance:  866-289-2101

Bria
Social Support and Community

Thanks Bria for your reply.  Yes, this is the procedure I followed, but one of the five support people I spent time with on the phone last week told me this is a known issue related to a change in the contact management system that will be solved soon.  Has it been solved yet?  I'm happy to try it again, but I don't want to waste my time if it still isn't solved. 

Thanks for clarifying. This has not yet been resolved but is something we are working on. Would you like me to open a case to have you notified when it is fixed?

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

Yes please do notify me when it is solved, hopefully soon.  In the meantime, we are being forced to consider other member communication solutions.

Thanks for the reply. I've set up that case in your account so you will be emailed when this is resolved. If you would like you can check the status of this case by logging into your account and clicking "Help". On the left choose "My Support HIstory" and then choose to view your open cases from the drop down menu.

Thanks,

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

Re: Contact fields in "Add Contacts from File" import do not match fields in "Insert

With all the new physical address options in your database (home, work, other, etc.), there is no way to map incoming address data to these specific fields.  When I import a file with this data, there is only one set of address fields available for mapping in your system.  After exporting a list that I recently imported, I see that the address information I had in my file was added to the 'Other' address fields by default.

We extensively use the address fields and other custom fields for information related to our donor gifts, merge this data into an email template, and send out our giving receipts through your system.  With the recent changes, the merge fields available to add to the email templates only shows one set of address fields (no home, work, other options).  When these available merge fields are added to an email template, the information in the 'Home' address fields is merged.  So, there is no way to get my imported data into the merged templates (which was added to the 'Other' address fields)

We are also very frustrated as our donor receipts are backing up because of this problem, and this system change may cost us valuable donors due to us not being able to get out timely receipts.

We, too, are exploring other email solutions applications, and unless this issue is resolved VERY QUICKLY, we will have no choice but to change email system vendors.

It seems that there could potentially be a fairly easy fix if the UI allowed mapping of all the available address fields to the import datafile, and then ALL these fields are also available for merging into the email template...... Maybe all these fields could be made available to users.... maybe an enable setting???

I was on the phone with one of your representatives for an hour and a half last Friday, and am totally frustrated.  I thought I had a potential temporary workaround by creating custom fields for my data.  While I can get the information into the custom fields,... these custom fields are not available for merging into the template either!!!

I submitted a case yesterday to document what is happening, but so far there has been no response to my case.... almost 24 hours ago.

We are also deeply concerned about the extensive changes to your system without any warning!!

Please help ASAP!

Tags (1)
Advisor

Re: Contact fields in "Add Contacts from File" import do not match fields in "Insert

Hello,

We are going to reach out to you tonight and explain what the situation is, currently this issue is being handled by engineering, however we do have a workaround that you can try to use to get around the problem until it has been resolved. Please be on the look out ofr our phone call around 6PM EST.

Thanks

Mike

Tier 2 Community Support

It is 2016.  Has this issue been solved?