cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added Custom Fields to contact list, but they don't show.

Frequent Visitor

Added Custom Fields to contact list, but they don't show.

I added a couple of additional fields to my contact list, but after saving and exiting there are no new columns shown.  Where did they go?  The process seems simple enough.  And, I can't move the width of an existing column to make it wider, as with a spreadsheet.  All my columns are squeezed over to the left.  Gotta fix this.  Thanks for any advice.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Added Custom Fields to contact list, but they don't show.

Hello @JeffreyS96,

I am so sorry to hear this is happening. I definitely want to get to the bottom of it. First, if you referring to the columns when viewing the Contacts Management page then those are hard set the way they are. That said, they should not be appearing squeezed to the left. Any chance you can provide me with screenshots of what this looks like for you? 

What method did you use to add the custom fields? Would you be able to provide me with the names of the custom fields and examples of contacts they were added to? 

I will note that custom fields will only be visible if you drill down on a specific contact in the list. It will not create a separate column on the Contacts Management page.

But if you could send me an email to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, the information I asked for above, and a reference to this post I can do a little digging and make sure nothing weird is going on. 

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Frequent Visitor

Hello Nick and thanks for the reply.   I need more columns (fields) because I want to import a cvs file with a few more columns that indicate more data about the contacts.  I need to sort for a variety of attributes of a contact for different mailing lists drawn from the main contact list.  Just the 4 columns show is not going to work.  When you replied:

I will note that custom fields will only be visible if you drill down on a specific contact in the list. It will not create a separate column on the Contacts Management page:

I realized I was in trouble.  Don't users import from existing spreadsheets or other cvs email lists with more than four fields to create a contact list here?  

Another question is can I have more than one main contact list?  I'm not talking email list but another contact list file?  I don't necessarily want to combine all contacts from different sources into one list if I can't sort by criteria in fields I can't create.  I need more spreadsheet-like capability.

Thanks again,

Jeffrey

Hello @JeffreyS96. I can certainly understand why you would like to have certain fields display as columns on the Contacts Management page. There is no limit to the amount of custom fields that you can import. I suggest using Advanced Search under Contacts to find contacts listed under a certain custom field. 

In regards to your question about your contact lists, I wanted to make sure I was understanding your question correctly. Contacts are uploaded and added to lists to help organize what types of emails or information that you are sending to them. Tags can also be used to further segment your contacts. You can also view your contacts outside of your account by exporting certain lists or selected contacts which creates a spreadsheet. Could you explain a little more exactly what you were looking to do with your contacts? We'd be happy to provide you with any additional information!

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted

I added some custom fields (having to do with membership in my club) and was expecting I could do Advanced Searches on them (e.g., to determine who recently joined) but they’re not among the search fields.  Why not?

CTCT Employee

@DianaC523

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I'm sorry to hear your custom fields are not showing in your Advanced Search. I definitely want to take a look into this for you!

Please email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, the custom field you are searching for, and a reference to this post and we will investigate further!

Taryn Leinweber

Occasional Visitor

I would like this feature too, where a one can select a custom field for viewing in the contact management page.

CTCT Employee

Hello @WilliamS902,

Thank you for your response! This is a great suggestion. I will be glad to pass your feedback on to the appropriate teams. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

-Curtis P

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!