cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anchor links

Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Re: Anchor links AND good email experience

I have to say Constant Contact is pretty selective in which things they are concerned about when it comes to providing the "best experience."

For instance, it seems that no option is provided for overriding the mobile feature that turns dates (and phone numbers, etc.) into links. I know there are a number of people using Constant Contact to send out newsletters, and I would bet that we are not the only CC customer that dates our articles. Those dates really should not become links, sine there is no earthly reason anyone would want to "calendar" them. Again, this is something we could probably deal with by changing the style IF we had access to the html. Someone told me that does offer a way to mute the links, which would at least be a partial solution, if it is not possible to ban them entirely. But unless I am missing something, Constant Contact offers no option like this.

CTCT Employee

Re: Anchor links AND good email experience

Hello @JulieL34,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to the community.  Those links you're referring to are all created by third party programs, and even in custom HTML emails that issues is not always fixed by styling.  For now though, there is a workaround.  If you insert that date, physical address, or other information as a web-page link, you can link to the symbol # instead of a URL, and then format your text to look like normal text.  The vast majority of those third-party programs will see that link coding, and ignore it in their algorithms, and the # symbol tells the link that it shouldn't go anywhere or be clickable.

Aaron H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Anchor links

Has Constant Contact had the time to reconsider reinstating anchor links within campaigns? The ability to navigate quickly and easily within the newsletters that I send to my subscribers was something that my subscribers greatly appreciated. Now you're saying that since anchor links are gone, in order to utilize the "read more" function, I have to not only create a newsletter but also create a separate web page for each article to link the "read more" block to!? So instead of staying in "constant contact" with my subscribers with one newsletter, it's more of a "constantly send readers to external web pages"?

CTCT Employee

Hello @KaroleighC,

That's a great question.  I agree that I wish anchor links could be added back in, and I'm sorry that it's not something that's happened already.  We are still tracking requests that we add those types of links into our newest editor. 

However, I can say that a number of major email clients, especially those on smartphones, do not officially support anchor links. With email providers themselves moving away from supporting those type of links, it becomes more and more difficult to code and implement something that looks good on modern machines and email clients.  I know that's not a solution, but I hope it helps to understand one of the reasons that our solution is taking longer to implement.

Aaron H

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
All Star

Agreed JulieL34! I understand they won’t work for every recipient, my customers are smart enough to scroll down if it’s clear the anchor links don’t work for them. I do not want to switch to - but jeez, this seems like it shouldn’t be that hard.

Some CC customers may not want to use it for that reason, BUT AT LEAST MAKE IT AVAILABLE FOR THOSE IF US WHO DO!

CTCT Employee

Hello @SequoiaPFC,

I apologize that this feature has not been implemented into our Third Generation editing system. We completely understand why it is important to you to have Anchor Links. I would be more than happy to submit your feedback over to our engineers for review. Thank you for letting us know and I hope you have a wonderful day! 

Zoe_H

Regular Advisor

I believe we are fighting an uinwinnable battle, but I'm not ready to give up quite yet.

CTCT Employee

Hello @JulieL34,

We completely understand how you are feeling due to it not being implemented yet. It is a feature that other customers have also submitted feedback for. Hopefully anchor links are something we may have again! Thanks again for your feedback on this and I hope you have a great week. 

Zoe_H

All Star

I have been holding out on switching to the third-gen editor and simply using my legacy second-gen newsletter. I decided this week that I had the time to update it and learn the new editor, so started a newsletter in the thrid-gen editor. As soon as I couldn't find the anchor links, I immediately came here. Lo and behold, no anchor links. We have been sending out a newsletter with a "table of contents" at the top for years now. We send it to about 1,000 people every two weeks and about 45% of our opens are on mobile devices. Do you know how many complaints we have had about anchor links not working? Zero! Do you know how many compliments we have on our table of contents? Multiple. Last time I checked "multiple" is more than "zero".

Hi @DeborahE3

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. I'm happy to hear your anchor links have been working for your contacts. However we have come across many customers needing assistance with anchor links that are not functioning properly for their contacts. Most current desktop email clients and mobile email apps do not support these types of links. Here's an article from out Help Center that lists the different email clients where anchor links do not work correctly. We want both our customers and your contacts to have the best user experience, which is why anchor links and table of content links are not included in our third generation editor. I apologize for any inconvenience caused from not having this feature. I have tracked your feedback on this in your account and submitted it to the appropriate teams.

Frankie P.

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!