Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anchoring

Top Answer
Hayley_L
CTCT Employee

Hello @DebbieH23,

We do not offer anchor links in our editor due to many email clients and devices no longer supporting them. I can see how this could be a useful feature for our customers but we want to have a product that works across all email clients and devices and having a feature that only works for a few is not desirable. I encourage you to view our post about why you should not include anchor links in your emails and what you can do instead to point your contacts in the right direction.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Anchor links

I am one user who misses the Anchor Link.  I disagree with the logic not to include it in third generation.  it is/was an important feature in our newsletters.

Hi @CoryF3

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your emails. I can definitely understand how helpful it would be to place anchor links in your newsletters. I apologize anchor links are not a feature that has been transferred over to our newest editor. While we do not have a time estimate of when it will be available, this is however a feature request I have tracked in your account and submitted to the appropriate teams. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with in the meantime.

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Valued Contributor

This is the same canned response Constant Contact has been writing every time another person comments about this feature. I guess at least we can say they are consistent.

Since they are reiterating, I think I will also.

We all know that not all email providers handle anchor links properly. So do our subscribers. For those who have providers that handle them right, they will work. For those who don't, they will at least know what is down below in the email that they can scroll to.

Why not respect that they will have half a clue when they see those links, rather than eliminating them for everyone.

Hi @JulieL34

I apologize for any inconvenience not having anchor links can cause as I can understand how it makes it easier for your contacts to quickly access relevant content in your emails. You are correct: anchor links do not work in most email clients, including those on mobile devices. I took a peek at your account and can see 41% of your open rate is through a mobile device and many of your contacts are opening in email clients that do not support anchor links at all, such as Yahoo and Gmail. We want your contacts to have the best experience when viewing your emails and having non-functioning links such as anchor links does not create this. We have noted this feedback in your account and will send it over to the appropriate team.

Frankie P.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Valued Contributor

Re: Anchor links AND good email experience

I have to say Constant Contact is pretty selective in which things they are concerned about when it comes to providing the "best experience."

For instance, it seems that no option is provided for overriding the mobile feature that turns dates (and phone numbers, etc.) into links. I know there are a number of people using Constant Contact to send out newsletters, and I would bet that we are not the only CC customer that dates our articles. Those dates really should not become links, sine there is no earthly reason anyone would want to "calendar" them. Again, this is something we could probably deal with by changing the style IF we had access to the html. Someone told me that does offer a way to mute the links, which would at least be a partial solution, if it is not possible to ban them entirely. But unless I am missing something, Constant Contact offers no option like this.

CTCT Employee

Re: Anchor links AND good email experience

Hello @JulieL34,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to the community.  Those links you're referring to are all created by third party programs, and even in custom HTML emails that issues is not always fixed by styling.  For now though, there is a workaround.  If you insert that date, physical address, or other information as a web-page link, you can link to the symbol # instead of a URL, and then format your text to look like normal text.  The vast majority of those third-party programs will see that link coding, and ignore it in their algorithms, and the # symbol tells the link that it shouldn't go anywhere or be clickable.

Aaron H

Has Constant Contact had the time to reconsider reinstating anchor links within campaigns? The ability to navigate quickly and easily within the newsletters that I send to my subscribers was something that my subscribers greatly appreciated. Now you're saying that since anchor links are gone, in order to utilize the "read more" function, I have to not only create a newsletter but also create a separate web page for each article to link the "read more" block to!? So instead of staying in "constant contact" with my subscribers with one newsletter, it's more of a "constantly send readers to external web pages"?

CTCT Employee

Hello @KaroleighC,

That's a great question.  I agree that I wish anchor links could be added back in, and I'm sorry that it's not something that's happened already.  We are still tracking requests that we add those types of links into our newest editor. 

However, I can say that a number of major email clients, especially those on smartphones, do not officially support anchor links. With email providers themselves moving away from supporting those type of links, it becomes more and more difficult to code and implement something that looks good on modern machines and email clients.  I know that's not a solution, but I hope it helps to understand one of the reasons that our solution is taking longer to implement.

Aaron H

All Star

Agreed JulieL34! I understand they won’t work for every recipient, my customers are smart enough to scroll down if it’s clear the anchor links don’t work for them. I do not want to switch to - but jeez, this seems like it shouldn’t be that hard.

Some CC customers may not want to use it for that reason, BUT AT LEAST MAKE IT AVAILABLE FOR THOSE IF US WHO DO!

CTCT Employee

Hello @SequoiaPFC,

I apologize that this feature has not been implemented into our Third Generation editing system. We completely understand why it is important to you to have Anchor Links. I would be more than happy to submit your feedback over to our engineers for review. Thank you for letting us know and I hope you have a wonderful day! 

Zoe_H