Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices for retaining paper opt-ins and CASL

SOLVED
All Star

Best practices for retaining paper opt-ins and CASL

Hello All,

When I read about the CASL (Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation) a few years ago, I got especially concerned.  In a nutshell, it says that Canadian citizens can file governmental complaints against organizations if they receive unsolicited emails; organizations can be liable for thousands of dollars.  I'd say that 95% of our constituents are US citizens, so the legislation doesn't directly impact us immensely.  However, I know that it is probably likely that the US will follow suit within the coming years.

Now, we have an opt-in only policy, of course, for anybody that we send emails to, so I am not overly worried about that.  I'm concerned about what is considered best practice regarding if a constituent opts in to our emails in paper (sign up sheet at an event, checks a box in a donor envelope), how long should we retain the paper copy verifying that they did so?  I realize there is no law for this; I am only seeking best practice.  Is it best to hold on to these for a year?  Is it a waste of time to hold on to these documents anyways?

Any advice specifically regarding constituents that opt in to emails via paper would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Best practices for retaining paper opt-ins and CASL

Hello @PatrickM2174. This is an excellent question! I see that we emailed you a response but I also wanted to reply here as well in case anyone else has the same question regarding paper opt ins. I talked with our department that specializes in CASL and they recommend keeping a paper record of these opt ins for 2-3 years. If you have any additional questions about CASL, you can contact that department directly at 866-433-8499 and they are available Monday through Thursday from 7am-11pm ET and Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.