cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

Beware: linked documents accessible after deletion

All Star

Re: Beware: linked documents accessible after deletion

As I indicated three months ago: "I cleared my Safari cache and history, but the documents are still available. I also tried using Chrome and have the same result: the deleted files are NOT deleted and remain accessible to the world."

This apparently has nothing to do with browser caches, but rather the fact that Constant Contact is not actually deleting the files when that's exactly what the user thinks is happening when they choose to "delete forever."

I will contact support as instructed, but asking them to remove specific files from my account does nothing for everyone else and it leaves this gaping security flaw wide open.

Hello @OwenL4. I'm sorry that you were still seeing these documents after deleting them. I see that you were able to reach out to us regarding this issue that you are experiencing and we have an upper level of support looking further into this for you. In the meantime, instead of deleting the document, you can replace the document with a blank page so anyone who tries to view the original document will only see the replaced document.

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
All Star

I am aware that replacing the document with a dummy doc is a work around for the problem if I remember to do so before "deleting." 

But the real solution is for Constant Contact to fix its site to do exactly what it says it will do when it claims to "delete forever."

Hello @OwenL4. We understand that the workaround with replacing the document with a blank page is not a solution and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. We have submitted a case over to our upper level of support and they will contact you with any updates regarding this issue with document links not fully breaking when they are deleted.

Caitlin M.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
All Star

I need help with this now. I deleted a pdf from my library then emptied the trash. The link is still active and I need it deleted soon. Help.

CTCT Employee

Hi @APNCteam,

We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing, and appreciate your patience while our engineers work as quickly as possible to fix this system issue. Please send us an email to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, the name of the pdf document, the exact link, and a reference to this post, and we'll check to see if there's any way we can "break" the link for you. Thanks!

Nichelle M

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted

I see it is now a year later and I'm facing the same exact issue. I need an image file link broken and I've gone through the process of permanently deleting from the trash, clearing image cache, and refreshing my browser yet the link is still live. Is there no other way to remove the file from your servers.

Tags (1)
All Star

My "solution" is to create a dummy file with the same name as the one you want to delete. Then upload the dummy file to revise what's on the server. Then go through the delete process. If it isn't actually deleted, no harm done because only the dummy file is accessible, not the old real content.

Tags (1)

Hi @OwenL4 

Thank you for sharing this workaround here in the Community! Though we are happy to hear it has been working for you, we also want you to know we do have an advanced level of support we can reach out to. In the case that replacing the document with the blank one prior to deleting from the library does not work please let us know. We would be happy to submit a ticket to this team for further assistance. 

Frankie.P

CTCT Employee

Hello @SelectGroupMarketing and thank you reaching out the The Community! I see you've also reached out directly to us by email. We will continue to assist you there!

Antonas_S