cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken links

Frequent Visitor

Broken links

I sent an email out 3 days ago with a link to a booking site for an event - it worked in the test email and also in the copy I received. I got a couple of early bookings but one colleague has just tried to use the original email to book the event and the link appears to be broken - how could this happen? Any ideas on how to fix it as I need to send an even reminder out early next week. Thanks
Tags (3)
16 REPLIES 16
Honored Contributor

Re: Broken links

Hi Tracy,

I'm sorry to hear that this happened. We add tracking to the links when we send them out so that you can see who is clicking on your links. It's possible that this person has some sort of block up on their emails that prevented the link from working. 

Do you know if they received an error message?

Where did they open the email? Outlook? Gmail? Yahoo?

Were you able to test this by sending yourself a live emali as well?

Can you please let us know what email you're referring to? Which link? What the error was?

For immediate assistance, please call our Phone Reps at 1-866-289-2101 or jump into our Chat.

Advisor

I wonder if somebody could take a look at some problem links for us. It's in my account, **Removed by Moderator**

The problem area: the right rail banner and all of the text links underneath it in the right column. I'm on deadline.

The same thing happened in last week's newsletter: the links worked in our test/preview emails but not in the email that was sent to our members. This week I tried sending a "real" mailing to a test list of 3 people because I couldn't trust the preview, and darned if the links on the right are still not working. I have validated the HTML. Can't see what is causing the 404 page http://r20.rs6.net/error404_link.html when you click on those right column links in the REAL SEND ONLY. 

Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

Hello, 

I edited your post to hide some of your account information because this is a public forum.  I did take a look at your account though and found why some of the links are not working during a send.  Within the code of the email there are some links that start with "http://r20.rs6.net/"  This is a link that has Constant Contact tracking on it already.  It will work in a test send, but not in a live send, this is because when the email is scheduled to go out the tracking is added again to the links.  This causes the links to break and produce the error that you are seeing.  

If you can update the code and take out any links that start with "http://r20.rs6.net/" it should resolve the issue for you.  

If you have any questions, let us know!  

Advisor

Thanks. With some work I can find the original URLs, probably. But would the presence of those affect other links? 

Thanks!

It won't effect other links in the email or links you've added, just the links that have been copied over. You should be able to open each link and re-copy the URL from the address bar to get the original.

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Advisor

Thanks. Actually, for people having the same problem, it did affect subsequent links, but it was the source of the problem. Appreciate the help.

May I offer some advice for CC? If you are still tinkering with the new version I'd beg you to consider not making the preview any more forgiving than the final sent email. They should behave exactly the same: if a link won't work in the ultimate sent form it should not work in preview either. 

Honored Contributor

It sounds like you have the issue fully resolved now.  I am glad that we could help.  

I will also pass your feedback along to see if that is something we can do in the future. 

Visitor

I have a similar problem - a link to an external website (not ours) worked in the test email but is not working now after the email has been sent with the link. It starts with r20. Can I fix this link even after the email has been sent?

Honored Contributor

Hello @PatriciaA875

If the email has been sent we do not have a way to edit the link that is within the email.  I would recommend copying the email, editing the link and re-sending if you want to get the link out to your contacts.  

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!