cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you have a custom field in the subject line?

All Star

Can you have a custom field in the subject line?

Hi team, 

I have read previous articles about adding a custom field in the subject line. I understand that this may be risky for spamming but I would still like to know how to do this? Can somebody provide a step by step process of how to do this?

Much Appreciated, 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Can you have a custom field in the subject line?

Hello @thebigword,

Thank you for your interest in this feature. We are still collecting feedback on implementing it in our system so I would be happy to track your request in your account for our developers to see. As you mentioned it is something we have seen increases the likelihood of an email being marked as spam because spammers like to use personal data in subject lines. Of course, your feedback is valuable to us so I will absolutely make sure it gets in front of the right people. 

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Participant

I'm rather curious how your data indicates that adding names to subject lines increases spam report since your customers cannot do it so you should have no original data on the topic.  On the contrary, studies by 3rd parties clearly indicate that adding names to subject names increases open rates.  Please cite your study.  Or just let your customers do it - like we can w/ competing services.

Steve

Hello @SteveP245. Thanks for coming into the Community. I am not finding any current sources about including personal information in the subject line. However I am going to reach out to the appropriate department and try to get an answer for you.

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Thanks Caitlin.  I hope you add it.  it's not rocket science (yes, I run a software company) and all the studies I've seen say it helps open rates.  As I asked, precisely what studies do you have to the contrary?

On a related note .. your new Editor is useless for complex tasks and we need to revert to the old one.  One super common thing we do in our emails is to embed the recipient's email address in the purchase links so our system can pre-fill his or her info for returning customers.  This works great by clicking the HTML button on the v2 editor and hand-editing the link.  v3 doesn't have that crucial feature so it's worthless to us.  We cannot use v3 for anything significant.  Also, in v3, it's impossible (or we couldn't figure out how) to get blocks with 1/2 text, 1/2 picture to reverse left  and right. In v2, there are distinct blocks to drag in for each an they work great.  V3, no such luck.

The ONLY reason we even asked to use v3 was simply to get emojis into the subject line.  But w/o the HTML editor, it's worthless to us and we had to quickly re-code our emails using v2.  I hope you consider the v3 editor a beta as it's nowhere near ready for real world use.  Can you please revert our settings to using the old editor until and unless you bring v3 up to feature parity w/ v2?

Thanks, Steve

Hi @SteveP245. I wanted to reach out to you about the feedback you provided about our third-generation editor. At this time, we are not able to use dynamic links in the third-generation editor like you were able to do in the second-generation but it is certainly something that is on our radar! I have submitted your feedback about this over to our Product teams.

Also, I'm sorry that you were having difficulty moving around your images and text. There is a layout area of the editor that has a few preset block layouts, including a block with a right-aligned image that you can drag into your campaign. If you wanted to have a left-aligned image, all you need to do is drag the image over to the left of the text once you insert the block into your campaign..

layout.png

If you did want to use our second-generation editor for your emails, you can copy a template that was created using that editor. However, we are always making updates to our newest editor and making it the best that it can be for our customers. We really appreciate your feedback!

Caitlin M.

Hello again @SteveP245. I spoke directly with a member of our Product team and I'm happy to let you know that they are working on allowing for more personalized emails, including inserting personal information into the subject line! They do not have a date for when this will happen but he wanted to let you know that this is absolutely something that should be in accounts in the near future. We do monthly Release Notes posts on our Product News board and when we receive more information about this, we will be sure to let our customers know in the Release Notes so keep an eye out for it!

Caitlin M.

Occasional Participant

Thanks Caitlin.  Appreciate you checking and looking forward to the new feature!

Thanks, Steve

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!