cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click through rate crashed around 2019-01-24

SOLVED
Highlighted

Click through rate crashed around 2019-01-24

At around 1/24/2019, our click through rates crashed from the low 20s to low single digits (3%).

Any explanation?  

Open rates are off too.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Click through rate crashed around 2019-01-24

Hi @M4_Publishing

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I can definitely understand how important it is to keep your email engagement high. I would be happy to help take a look with you. When testing one of your latest campaigns it landed in my Spam Inbox. Emails landing in Spam can trigger a decrease in your engagement. 

In fact, I was able to notice there are a lot of 3rd party links in your campaigns. One of those could have a bad rep that causes the email to go to spam. Because of this, I would suggest calling into our Deliverability Department. These support agents can help troubleshoot this further for you.

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Participant

The same thing happened to me. Up through January 20th(ish) my external marketing emails were averaging 20%+ click-through rates. Since then, they have all been less than 5%. Many of the emails that were previously getting 30ish% click-through rates were emails that were sent and continue to be sent weekly. The content does not change much. Why all the sudden is the same email only getting a 1% click-through rate?

Hi @BettyI06790 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your campaigns. I apologize for the experience you've had with their engagement reporting. These changes in your engagement is based on the amount of contacts you're sending to. Your campaigns 20%+ click-through rates were sent to one or two lists in your account. While on the other hand, campaigns with less than 5% were sent to all of the contacts in your account. Not only were these campaigns sent to a large amount of contacts, but also many of them are bouncing. I would suggest cleaning up your bounce list to see this engagement number rise again.

Frankie P.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Participant

That's actually not the case. As you can see, they were both sent to around 51,000 people. The content of the email barely changed. This email was regularly getting around 31% click through on every send. 

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Hi @BettyI06790 

Thank you for providing examples of the reporting. After looking closer at the reporting for the first campaign you mentioned with the higher click rate, I saw that the timestamp for most of the clicks happened shortly after your campaign was sent. When we see this happening, it is usually the result of a security program or setting in the receiving email client that is checking the email and included links to make sure that they are safe. We're not able to remove these types of clicks from your reporting. At this point, we can make an assumption that when your more recent email was sent, there may have been a setting that was updated on your contact's receiving end that did not click the links in this email, making it appear that the click rate was lower.

Frankie P.

Occasional Participant

That makes no sense at all. You're telling me that almost 1800 people, from different companies all over the country, all updated their settings at the same time? There are several other people on this chain with the same issues, and we need a better answer.

Same thing happened to us. We have not changed our content or the lists we are sending to, but have seen a dramatic decrease in our click through rates. It seems the other responses on here from Constant Contact are stock answers that don't explain why this has happened to multiple people. Very disappointing.

Occasional Participant

I'm sorry this is happening to you too! It would be nice if they would give us an actual answer rather than making up excuses... This sudden drop in click through rates is making me look bad every week when I have to report the analytics to my boss. 

Hi @BettyI06790 

I understand how important it is to keep your contact’s email engagement high. In cases like this where either opens or clicks decrease or increase suddenly, it’s generally due to updates on the contact's receiving end, usually due to their email clients' security settings. We aren't able to determine what security program all of these domains are using or what update was done that affected your click reporting. What we've seen in the past is that security programs for large, private domains will scan incoming emails and click on the links to make sure that they are safe before they are send to the receiver's inbox. Here’s some of the open reporting of the campaign you had originally raised concern for: 

2019-04-16_13-08-00.png
This campaign was scheduled at 7:05 am, with many of your opens being marked at 7:05am as well. This is a good indication of a security program receiving your email and immediately triggering an open and click report when checking your link. These clicks will affect the campaign reporting and can cause the click rate to appear very high. We understand how important having accurate reporting is but we do not have a way to remove these types of clicks from the overall reporting. Hopefully, this explains our original answer a little more.

Frankie P.

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!