cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Click through rate crashed around 2019-01-24

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Click through rate crashed around 2019-01-24

We have had the opposite happen. On our last e-newsletter our clicks went up significantly by about 50 per link. When I analyse the results there is obviously some that can be atributed to email server security eg all contacts at one company are reported as clicking on the same 3 links out of 29 however the time stamps of these range over an hour, even for a single email address which is odd if it is done at the recieving server I would not expect the software to hang onto an incoming email for that long testing link validity. Looking into some of these in more detail there is a pattern. They open and click one link same time stamp, an interval then they open and click one link, another wait then they open and click on one link. All three links are near the top of the email.

Other email addresses are showing as clicking on all 29 links but again spread out over a long period of an hour or so.

I regularly send these out but this is the first time this has happened. It would be a huge coincidence if hundreds of companies had suddenly implemented the same server checking software with the same parameters. The more likely explanation is if CC used to filter these out and now isn't doing this.

My sales team follow up on every click through we get so now I have a problem in that I cannot tell which are genuine clicks and which are server generated ones. Any suggestions?

Hi @Techsil 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! Although we have already offered support through the email you sent us, we would also like to share some of our response here in the Community for other users as well.

With that being said, you are correct, many cases where there are multiple counts of links being clicked are due to a contact's security program. Being able to remove this reporting is a feature request our Product team is collecting feedback on. Security programs triggering opens and clicks is something that can be difficult to narrow down. However a lot of security programs that do these kinds of verifying clicks share a database. A reason you may see so many clicks in the first couple minutes of a send is that those programs haven't populated the database with the link yet. Because of this we suggest reaching out to our Deliverability team for any available workarounds.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

Hi @NiciC22 

I apologize you’re see this happen as well. We would be happy to troubleshoot this further for you. We would however need more details on this experience. For instance, when did you see this drop in engagement? What are some example campaigns we can take a look at? I took a peek at your account and noticed many of your sends, and do see a difference in some of your click rates. With that being said, they do tend to match based on the list size you're sending to. For example campaigns sent to a list in the range of 30,000 contacts all have a 13% bounce and a click rate in the 20's. While smaller sends have a 35% bounce and a low click rate. Having a high bounce rate like this can cause your click rates to be low as many of your emails are not being delivered.

Frankie.P

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

Hi!

We are experiencing this exact same issue in terms of a significant dip in click rates. We analyzed the two emails and the dip occurred when we switched to constant contact's new email format. Did anyone solve this problem?  We're trying out other email providers to see if it's a constant contact thing.  

Thanks!  Val

Occasional Advisor

No one has given me an answer that makes any sense, unfortunately. If you can, I would look in to other providers as this has been an issue for us for months with no solution.

Hi @ErinH2. I reviewed the last 20 emails that you sent going back to the beginning of August and I'm not seeing a large dip in your click rate. The rates are fairly consistent when I compared emails created in the third-generation editor and the legacy editor over the past month and a half. If you could provide more information such as a comparison between two emails, that would be helpful. Thanks!

Caitlin M.