cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clickable phone numbers

SOLVED
Occasional Contributor

Clickable phone numbers

I know there is a way to do this, I've even looked up the html code in the past to try to make this a reality. The different OS for mobile phones should be able to read something as simple as this. There was also a post about this a few years back that looks like it never got resolved. Is this possible for Constant Contact to implement or not?

11 REPLIES 11
CTCT Employee

Re: Clickable phone numbers

Hello @SCVHabitat,

Thank you for coming to the community with this question.  Clickable phone-numbers are something that have changed a lot over the years.  Before you needed special coding to make them work, and it could cause problems on desktop displays, however in most cases neither of those are true now.  The majority of phone-based email clients will automatically convert any phone-number into a clickable link, and our newest editor should automatically make that possible.  If you're using our legacy editor, and want to edit the html, you can insert a link and then change the href= website to instead read href= #555-5555  replacing the 5s with your correct number of course, and leaving any other symbols like quotes or semi-colons in their original placement.  This works on a number of devices, but is not guaranteed to work on all, as that method simply isn't as widely used as it used to be.

Aaron H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

Using the above solution results in an error when attempting to click to call a number in my campaign. 

Visitor

Hello,

I have run a few tests and the phone numbers are being converted into clickable links by the email client but clicks of those numbers are not showing up in email activity click rate. Is there any way to track click rates of these phone number links?

thanks!

CTCT Employee

Hello @RehanaL8,

Great question. Those links are generally being converted by your mobile device and in some cases will automatically be converted by some browser email services.  As of right now, we are unable to insert telephone number specific links and are unable to track these links specifically, because they are being converted after the email has already left our server.  However, I would be happy to pass along this feedback to the proper teams for review.  I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Briody_W

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Visitor

That makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.

CTCT Employee

Hi @RehanaL8,

You are very welcome and we're happy to help! Please let us know if you have any further questions about linking phone numbers.

Nichelle M

Visitor

I used the newest editor version when creating and sending out our last email. I put the phone number in a button, which in the past when I've used the legacy editor has automatically converted to a clickable phone number on mobile. However, the email we created with the new editor did not automatically convert to a clickable phone number on mobile.

How do I fix this? 

CTCT Employee

Hi @WilliamB6572,

Thanks for your question!  Mobile email clients tend to turn phone numbers to links automatically.  We actually don't have a specific way to turn phone numbers into links on our end.  I would recommend having the phone number in a text block outside of the button and on the mobile email client, you should see the number as a link.

Briody_W

Occasional Organizer

I have an email design that has the phone numbers as text, which I am sure are made clickable on mobile. But I also have a button that says "Call for more information", but as has been pointed out by others, I am not able to make the button click-to-call. I can not use the first suggested edit option because, as has already been pointed out, it generates an error. What is the solution to being able to make a button click-to-call when it has text on it and not a phone number, or if it were an image, a phone icon for example.

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!