cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clicks suddenly increased by about 50 on each link - can't be real clicks - why is this happening?

Occasional Contributor

Clicks suddenly increased by about 50 on each link - can't be real clicks - why is this happening?

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
CTCT Employee

Re: Clicks suddenly increased by about 50 on each link - can't be real clicks - why is this happenin

Hi @Techsil 

Thank you for reaching out in the Community regarding your click rates. We know how important it is to have an accurate view of customer clicks so you can make informed decision regarding links in upcoming emails. I reviewed the last few emails in your account and I don't see an abnormal amount of clicks. 

We'd like to look in to this further for you. If you can, please send us a quick email at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com confirming your username, the name of an affected campaign and a reference to this post. 

Once we have that email from you, we'll take a closer look at your account and follow-up with you via email. 

Thanks! 

Alex S.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Clicks suddenly increased by about 50 on each link - can't be real clicks - why is this happenin

On our last e-newsletter our clicks went up significantly by about 50 per link. When I analyse the results there is obviously some that can be attributed to email server security eg all contacts at one company are reported as clicking on the same 3 links out of 29 however the time stamps of these range over an hour, even for a single email address which is odd if it is done at the recieving server I would not expect the software to hang onto an incoming email for that long, testing link validity. Looking into some of these in more detail there is a pattern. They open and click one link same time stamp, an interval then they open and click one link, another wait then they open and click on one link. All three links are near the top of the email and are the same 3 links for all companies.

Other email addresses from many other companies are showing as clicking on all 29 links but again spread out over a long period of an hour or so.

I regularly send these out but this is the first time this has happened. It would be a huge coincidence if hundreds of companies had suddenly implemented the same 2 types of email checking software on their servesr in the same month with exactly the same parameters. The more likely explanation is if CC used to filter these out and now isn't doing this.

My sales team follow up on every click through we get so now I have a problem in that I cannot tell which are genuine clicks and which are server generated ones. Any suggestions?

Hi @Techsil 

We see you also posted about this experience in a different section of our Community as well. In fact we have shared some helpful information there!

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have received two emails from support but neither have solved the problem or come up with a workaround and so I am still waiting for a solution. Once that happens I will post the result here and accept as solution so others can benefit from the information if that is alright.

The question of coincidence has not been addressed at all.Something must have happened either with CC's reporting of clicked links or at the security providers for this problem to have come out of the blue. There has been no gradual build up it just happened for the first time in 11years on 29th April 2019.

And for clarity it wasn't contacts from one company who were showing as clicking on the same 3 links it was 30 companies and multiple contacts. And also mulitiple contacts at multiple comapnies showing that they'd clicked links on all 29 links in the email.

I am currently looking at solutions to this problem provided by other email services and seeing if CC can block reported links clicked on known security provider IP addresses and waiting on an answer on this. Act On are able to provide the IP address recorded of the email clicks and then they or the user can tell if the clicks are coming from a security provider. Then the user can block reporting on clicks from particular IP addresses.   I know at one time we used to able to get the IP addresses. Instructions from Act On here fyi:

1. Use Nslookup in your command line/terminal (Windows steps here) to verify the MX record information
    • When prompted, add the IP address and domain name of the customer responsible for the clicks (available from a Data Studio export on the Email Messages data set)
  2. Check the data that comes back - it should include the name and information for the security provider
    • For example, clicks from Barracuda include .ess.barracudanetworks.com

Common IP Addresses to Ignore

Barracuda ESS

Barracuda US instance - ignore both of the following IP address ranges:

• 64.235.144.0-64.235.159.255
  • 209.222.80.0-209.222.87.255

Barracuda UK instance

• 35.176.92.96-35.176.92.127

Barracuda DE (Germany) instance

• 35.157.190.224-35.157.190.255

Others

These IP addresses have been associated with abnormal click activities in the past:

• 196.16.0.0-196.19.255.255
  • 34.192.0.0-34.255.255.255

Kind Regards

Jane