cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clicks that are actually clicks

Highlighted

Clicks that are actually clicks

Starting in November we noticed that our click rate had skyrocketed to 25%.  Come to find out that isn't the case - that somehow Constant Contact is recording a click because some email servers trigger the first URL in our email (which is our company website).  We knew that the open reporting is not accurate because some servers record an open when it isn't actually opened.  Now the click reporting isn't accurate because some servers record a click when it isn't actually clicked.  This makes it almost impossible to track to opened or clicked on newsletters.  I have to filter out all of the contacts who "clicked" once on our newsletter because they probably didn't.  The ones who actually did will never be contacted or marketing to further.

This is a huge drawback to Constant Contacts value to us.  Is there a workaround to this? Do I put a fake URL as the first link in our newsletter? I need some help to resolve this issue please.

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
CTCT Employee

Re: Clicks that are actually clicks

Hello @CarrieS627,

I can absolutely understand the want to have that reporting be as accurate as possible.  You're correct that some server-side programs can cause false-click reports.  The most common program type is server-side security programs.  Those programs actually do open the email, follow the links, etc.  The problem is that our system is unable to tell the difference between a click from an automated system, or a click from the recipient.  There's no real work-around for this kind of problem though, and no way for us to bypass their server security.

We are absolutely tracking requests for us to find a workaround for this solution, though as I'm unaware of one in existence anywhere else, it would need to be custom built, and need to function across numerous email clients and their security programs.  It will likely be some time before anyone is able to develop and deploy a solution.

Aaron H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.