cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
We want to be here for you when you need us! Today, Saturday 01/19, support will be open 10:00 am - 8 pm ET. Check out our help center for all the ways to get in touch with us.

Creating a list of lists

Advisor

Creating a list of lists

So I have a series of lists that grow based off users subscribing to various services on my website (basically when a user signs up, their email address gets sent to CC via the API integration I created and the email is added to its respective list).

Let's call these lists A, B, C, and D.

When I send out marketing emails, sometimes I send them to an individual list and sometimes I send them to all of the lists.

What I'd like to do is create a list, let's call it MASTER that is comprised of list A, B, C, and D.  This way I don't need to keep selecting all 4 lists when sending out emails and I can just select the list MASTER.  I would also need MASTER to grow as each list it is comprised of grows.  So if a contact is added to list A, it is also added to the composite list MASTER.

Please let me know if you need any further clarification.  Looking through the documentation it appears that I can do this, I just want to ensure the MASTER list grows as the sub-lists grow (or shrink if people opt out).  I don't want the lists to end up out of sync as that would defeat the purpose of this

(The reason I want to do this is that we have daily, weekly, and monthly options...and it's becoming annoying having to keep searching through my lists and selecting all the ones I want.  My lists are also much more complex than this, as we allow users to really hone in on what they do and do not want...I just made this case simple for example)

3 REPLIES

Re: Creating a list of lists

Hi @imru

That's a great question! The details you included in your post definitely helped us understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish. This is something that can be done. I would first suggest merging the contacts already in your account into a Master list. Once this is done, you would then have to update your form so that new contacts get added into this Master list list along with being added to A, B, C and/or D.

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Advisor

Thank you for your prompt response.

I actually don't ever want to directly add contacts to the master list.  I just want it to exist to help lessen the amount of clicking when I am on the screen where I select the recipients of an email (where you select the timing of the send, etc).

Since I have so many lists, scrolling through them all and selecting the ones I want becomes time-consuming when scheduling weeks of emails campaigns at a time (and also the more lists I have to select the greater the chance I might select the wrong list...and some of my list have 50,000+ contacts).

If I merge the contacts from list A, B, C, and D into "MASTER"...and a users goes onto my website and chooses to opt into List A (which gets sent to CC via my API integration)...will that user also be added to the list "MASTER"?  Or is merging contacts not dynamic and only a one time merge.

Here's a quick example I can think of:

List:

A: person1@gmail.com

B: person2@gmail.com

C: person3@gmail.com

D: person4@gmail.com

Merge the lists into MASTER

MASTER: person1@gmail.com, person2@gmail.com, person3@gmail.com, person4@gmail.com

A new users goes onto my site and requests to be added to list A, so now:

A: person1@gmail.com, NEWperson@gmail.com

Does the list MASTER now consist of:

person1@gmail.com, person2@gmail.com, person3@gmail.com, person4@gmail.com, NEWperson@gmail.com

Thanks again for your help!

Hi @imru

I apologize for any confusion there may have been with my previous response. Merging your contacts is not dynamic and is only a one time merge. Users who opt in through your website will not be simultaneously added into the Master list unless this update is made on your form.

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!