cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tomorrow morning (8/26) from 07:00 AM - 08:00 AM ET we need to make a few updates to our site. During this time, no emails will be sent and some customers will not be able to access their contacts. We recommend finishing up your work before 07:00 AM and logging in after 08:00 AM ET. Thank you for your patience while we make these updates.

Custom Field Character Length

Highlighted

Custom Field Character Length

We are looking to send an email to our customer with a personalized link. I would like to use a custom field to upload each customer's personalized link. I just wanted to know if there is a character length to the custom field?

I read in another post that it was 50 characters but after account migration you could get 255? what is the current character length of a customer field?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Custom Field Character Length

Hi @VanessaB03463

That's a great question! When it comes to a custom field, for the field name there is a length limit of 50 characters. However there is a 255 character limit for the contact detail that is going into that custom field, so in this case the personalized link. I apologize for any confusion there may be for a custom field character length. 

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

My custom fields are cutting off at 50 characters – not the field names, the place where people are supposed to type their information. How do I switch that to the 255 character length?

Thanks.

CTCT Employee

Hello @IlliniMediaCompany,

Thank you for reaching out to us! I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.  I would recommend making a brand new Text Field and then trying to enter the information in one of your contact profiles. 

Briody_W

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

I want to make sure that I don't delete any of the data in that field if I do this. We have several people that have already filled out the form. Can you clarify whether or not this will be an issue before I do this?

Thanks.

CTCT Employee

Hello @IlliniMediaCompany,

That is a good question! All of your data will not be deleted by just creating a new text field. 

Zoe_H