cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Custom Field Data in the subject line - Flat out embarrassing

Solution Provider

Custom Field Data in the subject line - Flat out embarrassing

I tried using recipient field data in the subject line, to make my most recent campaign seem 'personalized'.

Here's the details on the new feature allowing subject line customizations.

For the most part it worked as it was supposed to, but it is sloppy and leaves much room for improvement.

To summarize my findings:

1. There's no easy editing tools to implement this. It's basically a bracket based syntax as the editor's help tooltips will show you. There's the KB article above to guide you through the process, but no toolbar click-and-pick type WYSIWYG editor UI. Maybe one day there will be, but it frankly seems to have been rushed into the release without proper planning or execution.
  2. My biggest issue: The social plugin which posts your campaign on Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. You'd think that CC would have been thorough enough to build a drop logic into their social posting code, so that your company pages on LinkedIn and Facebook don't show posts starting with: 
    [[FIRSTNAME OR "Add fallback text here or remove"]]
    Fast forward 4 days of weekend down time and I open my business's company pages, only to see the multiple posts that the CC Social Integration contributed made me look like a complete buffoon. Sorry guys if I'm sounding harsh on you, but seriously,.. shame on you. I look sloppy for trusting this newly untested feature.
2 REPLIES 2
Solution Provider

Sloppy

I tried using recipient field data in the subject line, to make my most recent campaign seem 'personalized'.

Here's the details on the new feature allowing subject line customizations.

For the most part it worked as it was supposed to, but it is sloppy and leaves much room for improvement.

To summarize my findings:

1. There's no easy editing tools to implement this. It's basically a bracket based syntax as the editor's help tooltips will show you. There's the KB article above to guide you through the process, but no toolbar click-and-pick type WYSIWYG editor UI. Maybe one day there will be, but it frankly seems to have been rushed into the release without proper planning or execution.
  2. My biggest issue: The social plugin which posts your campaign on Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. You'd think that CC would have been thorough enough to build a drop logic into their social posting code, so that your company pages on LinkedIn and Facebook don't show posts starting with: 
    [[FIRSTNAME OR "Add fallback text here or remove"]]
    Fast forward 4 days of weekend down time and I open my business's company pages, only to see the multiple posts that the CC Social Integration contributed made me look like a complete buffoon. Sorry guys if I'm sounding harsh on you, but seriously,.. shame on you. I look sloppy for trusting this newly untested feature.
Tags (2)
CTCT Employee

Re: Custom Field Data in the subject line - Flat out embarrassing

Hi @EMRConsultants,

Hi Michael. Thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize if our subject personalization tool feels unsatisfactory. We do appreciate the feedback you provided us in the first point of your summary. How would you like to be able to insert the personalization in the header options? Could you elaborate more regarding the toolbar suggestion that you gave? If you can give more detail, I can definitely submit this in for our developers to review. In regards to your second point, this is a defect that we are currently experiencing and I have tracked the issue to your account so that when a solution has been achieved, our engineers will reach out notifying you. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Lucas_D
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing