cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting contacts who are not in a Group

Occasional Participant

Deleting contacts who are not in a Group

Hi,

We are wondering if there is an easy way to delete all contacts who are not in our 2 Groups. .

We have 2 Groups with approximately 1,000 contacts in each and we would like to keep them. However, we have a total of 10,000 contacts in our account. Is there an easy way to delete the approximate 8,000 who are not in one of those Groups?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES
CTCT Employee

Re: Deleting contacts who are not in a Group

Hey @ChristiH05212!

Thanks for reaching out to the Community! That's a great question! To delete the contacts who are not a part of the two lists that you wish to keep in the account, you would want to select the option to Delete the List AND contacts when you are removing the lists that are not going to remain in the account. The following help article will help walk you through this process. 

Delete Email Lists

When you select to delete both the List and Contacts when you remove the lists that are no longer in use, the system will remove any contacts on that list who are not on another list that remains in the account. After you delete all but the two lists you wish to keep, you should be left with only contacts who are on those lists. Let us know if you have any further questions! 

Jessica H.

Community Support 

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!

Occasional Participant

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your reply. However, it is not contacts within a group we are trying to delete. We are trying to keep the contacts who are in the groups and delete everyone else.

Thank you!

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Hey @ChristiH05212!

I'm sorry for my confusion, I had assumed that the contacts you were looking to remove were already on other lists in the account. If that is not the case, you can create a list that contains all contacts except those who are on the 2 groups you are looking to keep.

What you would do is first create a list of all the Active contacts in the account. Once this is completed, you can go into the groups or lists you wish to keep and remove those contacts from the newly created list. Lastly you would remove this newly created list, as it should only contain contacts who should no longer be in the account. The following help article will help walk you through how to add and remove contacts from lists. 

Move Contacts to Different Lists

I hope this all makes sense! Let us know if you have any further questions! 

Jessica H.

Community Support 

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!

Occasional Participant

Thank you Jessica! This is exactly what we needed! It worked beautifully!

Hello @ChristiH05212. I'm so glad to hear that Jessica was able to help you! Have a great rest of your day

Caitlin M
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!