cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails that look different when sent than in Preview

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Emails that look different when sent than in Preview

I for one am getting very tired of emails that, when sent, display differently in the email than they did when typed in the block and different than they looked in Preview. I'm talking about line breaks and spacing that turns out to be ugly in the sent message. And it is not a problem with the viewing screen. The sent email displays differently on the same computer on which the message was prepared. And the funky line breaks and spacing are consistent across devices. Clearly something not good happens when the message is transmitted. Time to consider options that will keep my messages looking the same as the Preview when I prepare them.
5 REPLIES 5
CTCT Employee

Re: Emails that look different when sent than in Preview

Hi @StPat2844

Thank you for reaching out to the Constant Contact Community. It's my pleasure to assist you today.

I'm sorry to hear that your emails aren't appearing the same in your email client as they are in the editor. We certainly understand how important it is for your emails to look professional and consistent with what you are creating. We are happy to take a look at the campaign to see why this is occurring. These issues are generally caused by things we can fix. If you can send an email to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, the name of the campaign you are seeing the problems in, the email client you are looking at it in (Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo), screenshots of the spacing issues if possible, as well as a reference to this post we are happy to look into this for you.

Thank you for choosing Constant Contact. Have a great day!

Adrienne B.
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Occasional Contributor

It seems to me that I should be able to count on your platform to send emails that, when received, look the same as what is shown to me by your preview pane. It always looks fine in the preview pane. But frequently looks different when the email is received. The typical problem is that a word that appears on one line in the preview and then on the actual message it moves down to the next line. Since that word was likely followed by a space to force following text onto the next line what happens is that the single word becomes one line and then is followed by an additional line which was originally the second line. For example the created message might be

.....please come to the social hall tonight

at 7:00 to enjoy all the fun.

but it appears something like this (apparently because the last word somehow now did not fit the first line as was shown in the preview )

.....please come to the social hall

tonight

at 7:00 to enjoy all the fun.

Another common problem is that spacing between words changes, i.e. extra spacing is inadvertently originally typed in a sentence and is then corrected. But then in the sent message the incorrect spacing re-appears.

I would hope that your platform would produce the message as it shows it has been prepared and not require a hunt down mission for each time such problems occur; because they occur regularly in different campaigns.

As my original note said the messages are always prepared on a PC. The display problems, when they occur, happen across platforms. I have viewed the same message with the same changed layout on iPhones, Android phones, Android tablets, and other PCs.

CTCT Employee

Hello @StPat2844,

Thank you for getting back to us!  Very often spacing issues of that type that pop up in the inbox but not the editor tend to happen in our old Legacy Editor when an email has been copied too many times or when text with certain formatting is copied and pasted in.  With this, we usually recommend moving into our new 3G Editor which is much more accommodating to pasted text.  Alternatively, I would recommend that if you don't want to use the new editor, you try and clean out old blocks and then save a fresh copy of your template to use as a master copy whenever you need to copy over a template for a new campaign.  If you can send us an email to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username and the email giving you trouble, I would be glad to see if I can confirm the root of the problem for you!

Briody_W

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Contributor

How does one use the new editor? Why would it not be the default when signing in to our account?

CTCT Employee

Hello @StPat2844,

Great question!  When Creating a new email via the Create button in your Campaigns page, you will have the option to select Standard Templates.  These will all be in the newest version of our editor.  When making a copy of a previous email, it will remain in the same version of the editor as the email was created.  I have some articles about using that new editor Here!

Briody_W

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!