Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message - "You can only have 1 of the same email for each contact."

SOLVED
Highlighted
All Star

Error message - "You can only have 1 of the same email for each contact."

I have a contact listed by name. Email was suspended and probably deleted. This person wants to be added back. When I enter the email address, I get the error message "You can only have 1 of the same email for each contact."  Please advise

Lisa cannot add.JPG

________________________________________________________________________________

Lisa Ludwig blank.JPG

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
CTCT Employee

Re: Error message - "You can only have 1 of the same email for each contact."

Hi @LindaZ28

Thanks for bringing your question to the community! The message you're running into is caused by the fact that the email address that was removed as a Bounce is still associated with that contact. We do this to prevent you from accidentally emailing removed Bounces. In order to Re-add this email address, the best way is from the Type in or Paste option. To do this, go to your Contacts tab, then click Add Contacts > Type in or paste contacts. On that screen, select the Paste names & emails tab, paste in your contact, then hit continue and choose a list. This will allow our system to revive a deleted contact.

Nate M. 
Community Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!

Nate, I have done what you suggested for precisely one name/email, and the system said: "Import complete. There was one contact added. One contact could not be added to the selected list(s) because the contact previously unsubscribed. Download unsubscribed contact."

Now when I look at that user, I see his email address is included (before I followed your instructions it was not, nor could I add it) but the list I requested to add him to (for which the system asked me after I followed your instruction as I said just above) was not selected

That is odd - I look back at the 1.5y of history, and I see every email I sent has bounced as suspended, but nowhere do I see any notification that the user unsubscribed via your system.

Tags (2)
CTCT Employee

Hello @SteveK38311,

Thank you for reaching back out to us. I can definitely understand why this may be a little confusing. If you happen to manage your bounces through the bounce reports and happen to delete them directly from the bounce report page, it will delete the contact and unsubscribe that contact as well. The reason for this is because we want to ensure that any bounces that you have deleted are not accidentally added back into the account. This is the reason for why it does not show in the engagement history of this contact that he has ''Unsubscribed''. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Tiago_R
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing