Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Email Address

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Fake Email Address

Hey guys,

I was recently charged , which was higher than normal.  Today I investigated this by looking to see how many email addresses we were up to.  WHOA, well over 500.  Turns out over 120 of them were fake!  Yes, there were troll-level fake email addresses, but I mean robot generated fake emails with names like; "5k6hth8hyd8d9s" The majority of the 120+ were these types of emails. 

Something doesn't seem right about it, and I've paid for it.  

5 REPLIES 5
CTCT Employee

Re: Fake Email Address

Hello @TonyP435,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! It sounds like you may have a sign-up form on your website that was affected by a bot attack. That means you were spammed with fake email addresses. If you have a sign-up form on your website, that is not one of ours, I suggest using one that you create on your account. It adds protection from bot attacks after a certain amount of email addresses signs up on it. I recommend deleting those email addresses out of your account, and letting us know if these could have came from a sign-up form. 

Zoe H.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Visitor

We actually do use a CC template for our email sign ups.

Hi @TonyP435

Thank you for giving us this update. Because you are using one of our sign-up forms, I would suggest enabling the confirmed opt-in for new sign-ups. This setting will send an automatic confirmation email when contacts join a a list. This confirmation email not only helps to ensure your permission to send, but also to weed out any spam emails as well.

Frankie.P

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
All Star

TonyP435

We've had the same problem and, BAD experience. CC's only solution is to run this confirmed Opt-In wizard which left us in a big jam. My important member database is now cut to 25% of where we were and we are only a tiny nonprofit firm. Plus they can't legally help us restore all our prior emails. This is causing us DAYS of added work.

Hi @JamesE6. Although we have limited information as to what was discussed with our support team earlier, I can understand how the confirmed opt-in process would affect who you can send emails to and I apologize that this is causing you extra work. If you have further questions, I would recommend contacting our Deliverability team directly for guidance. 

Caitlin M.