cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find Parsing Error

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Find Parsing Error

When trying to save a document I got a parsing error.  The problem is the exact characters causing the problem are not pinpointed.  They should be highlighted.  An additional feature would be to copy the questionable text to a routine that would not only pinpoint problems but explain why they are problems.  

3 REPLIES 3
CTCT Employee

Re: Find Parsing Error

Hello @MikeB8386,

Thank you for coming into the Community to speak with us! Generally those kind of parsing errors are caused by by copying and pasting content from another source, which contains html that is incompatible with our system.

The simplest way of resolving this, is to highlight the recently pasted text, and choose 'clear styles' from the editing bar.  Some screenshots to assist you can be found here.

Aaron H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Contributor

This suggestion is useful but leaves me wondering what got deleted.  It might be an important item that changes the meaning or leaves out important information.  With my suggestion I would know EXACTLY what are the offending characters and could decide what to do about it.

CTCT Employee

Parsing errors are generally caused by errors in the HTML coding of the block.  When you clear styles, you are removing that code, which may change the appearance of the text.  Such as removing formatting like Bold, or changing font styles.  That shouldn't change the actual content though, except on the occasion when it removes links.

If there's just an unsupported character, the system should give you a different error message that tells you which characters are unsupported.  I'll definitely pass on to our development team that some of our error messages could be more specific in the future.

Aaron H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.