cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Re: Column Widths Different in Preview and Email View

Hi @AndyF58

I’m sorry that your email doesn’t look the same when you send yourself a test to outlook. I understand how important it is for your email to look professional when it gets send out. I took a look at your account, and send myself a test of your most recent email  on my outlook 2010. I didn't see anything that sounds like what you mentioned. 

Could you tell me the version of outlook you are using?

What’s the name of the specific email where you are noticing the images being blown across the page?

If you could answer these troubleshooting questions for me then I can take a deeper dive to try to figure out why this is happening.

Shweta Iyer
Community & Social Media Support Intern

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Honored Contributor

Hey @MarkS57

Just years of working here led me to go in and delete that line. I wish I had a better answer for you. But that's how I knew. Those manually entered lines tend to stretch out the blocks. It's best to use a divider block or an accent block in the future as those are set to fit perfectly into the column.

Does that help?

Occasional Participant

That helps.

Honored Contributor

Great! Let us know if you have any other questions!

Re: Width and Formatting Issues in Outlook

It may be you Outlook settings. It has small, medium, large. Small is default. If others are selected, the email and text is scaled in width but images are not. 

CC: Is there a solution to this? I changed a full image block to 100% wide instead of 640 wide but didin't resize in Outlook 2013.

Honored Contributor

Re: Width and Formatting Issues in Outlook

Hello @BrianV28

At this time we do not have a solution to this issue, the only way to fix it would be to change the display settings that you described in your post.  

Occasional Contributor

Subscribers in Outlook must download images before they can see them

I am having subscribers complain about not being able to see images in their Outlook emails. They are red X's on them and they must click on them to download the image.

Honored Contributor

Re: Subscribers in Outlook must download images before they can see them

Its not just Outlook (which is 37% of all email clients), most email clients behave that way. 

Most new time email marketers are not aware of that or don't take it into consideration when designing.

That's why its important to know what your design looks like without graphics in as many clients as you can preview them in.  

If you would like to see what your email looks like in 25 different email clients including the iPhone with graphics turned on and off drop me a Private Message. 

I'm offering this to any CTCT community member as a free enlightenment. 

Tony Schaefer

Clique Marketing

www.cliquemarketing.biz

Occasional Contributor

That is not acceptable and should be considered when developing the software. I have subscribers who are complaining about this.

Honored Contributor

You have to understand, its not an issue with Constant Contact. 

Its an issue with the email client providers such as Microsoft, Google etc.

You can't fight it you have to embrace it and work within its identified constraints.

Users can allow the viewing of graphics a variety of different ways, but they differ depending on the email client being used. If you have a large contingent of Outlook users who are looking forward to your content perhaps sending out a tutorial on how to enable them would benefit you.

I won't even go into how the Microsoft preview pane can wreak havoc with your response rate.

Tony Schaefer

Clique Marketing

www.cliquemarketing.biz

p.s.

"That is not acceptable and should be considered when developing the software"

I really want folks to change that to

That's the way it is and needs to be considered when designing your email.