cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

Re: Having issues with templates

You can open the block, view the html (see the little icon in the upper right corner) select all and delete.  That wipes out the block's formatting.  Then go back to the normal edit view and type or paste in your copy and finally format it. 

I've seen extra hard returns show up after I have duplicated a block.  So I go to the text after the extra hard return and backspace until I have gone past it.  Then I can retype the missing copy.  Normally it is just a few words.

Be sure NOT to copy streight from a Word Document into an information block.  Word will put formatting on your copy that will screw up the CC html editor.  Copy first to "Note Pad" or some other text editor, and the copy and past from there.

Does this help?

Sincerely,
Ray Higgins
Cybermail Marketing
ray@cybermailmarketing.com
Regular Visitor

I'm just curious why Constant Contact has so much trouble with copying / pasting from Word.  There are many other email programs on the market that seem to handle that pretty well.  I'm also frustrated that background images will not display in Outlook.  In fact, alot of my emails do not display well in Outlook.  since that is the most common email program, I wish that Constant Contact would be more compatable.

Honored Contributor

Hi,

Word has formatting behind it that can sometimes cause issues with display in other email clients. It has to do with the way HTML is rendered and the way Word is rendered.

The issue with background images in Outlook is universal. This is not specific to Constant Contact. All emails that contain background images will not display correctly in Outlook 2007 and on.

If you are having specific problems with an email, let us know or call 1-866-289-2101.

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Participating Solution Provider

One "work around" is to copy from Word to notpad and then copy again to Constant Contact. 

Because MS Outlook uses MS Word to display an email, everything is broken into pages and that gives you the same grief that inserting a photo into a word document does. The best answer for that is to send yourself a lot of proofs to be sure your photo is in the right position.  Resizing the photo and adding or decreasing padding hleps too.

Just some thoughts.

Sincerely,
Ray Higgins
Cybermail Marketing
ray@cybermailmarketing.com
Honored Contributor

Re: Width and Formatting Issues in Outlook

Updated: August 2017

Hi,

Email programs, also called "email clients", display emails in different ways. Web-based email programs can also cause emails to appear differently in different browsers. You can see how a sample email displays in many common email clients from the Email Standards Project.

You can make sure your email looks its best and displays consistently across multiple email programs by sending yourself a test email before sending to your contacts. Scanning your contacts email addresses for the most common email clients can also help you identify some trouble areas before you even start drafting your email.

As new email clients and browsers develop, we make every effort to make sure your emails will display as expected in them.  To see the most common issues identified in email clients see the list here.  

I'd love to take a look at your email. If I have your permission, I can look up your account and see if we can fix this for you. If you prefer, you can also call us at 1-866-289-2101.

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Occasional Participant

That would be fine, Jarrad.  The email in question is the August 2011 Newsletter.

Thanks for looking into it!

Honored Contributor

Hi Evan,

I'm having this escalated to our Tier 2 level of support. This is a high priority and someone will be contacting you later today. I can't guarantee we will be able to fix the issue because it may be an issue with the way Outlook is rendering the email.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience,

Jarrad

Occasional Participant

Thanks for keeping me updated.

Occasional Advisor

Was this ever resolved? If so, sharing the solution publicly would be great -  I'm having the same issue.

Honored Contributor

Are you using a CTCT provided standard template?

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!