cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED
Occasional Participant

linked an image - link didn't work... ?

Thank you, Jarrad... a bit off topic, but in case you can help - does CC track email links?

Occasional Participant

i mean, a link like: mailto:myemail@gmail.com

Honored Contributor

Hi Molly, Yes, we do track mailto: links. Hope this helps, Jarrad Community & Social Media Support

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Participant

helps a lot!! thank you

Visitor

Having issues with templates

Hi,

I have been using CC for the past 18 months or so and ever since the new site went up a few months ago, I have been having problems with the authoring tools. I try to remove spaces and they re-appear. When I contacted a tech they said I would have to rebuild all my templates from scratch to get ride of the problems. So I did create a brand new template and the problems are now worse than ever.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Having issues with templates

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the problems you're having with the editor. Are you copying and pasting formatted text? Whenever you copy and paste formatted text, coding carries over along with the formatting. Because of this, when you try to edit the text within Constant Contact,  you can run into problems.

What I would suggest is to paste your text as plain text. You can do this by follow these steps: Paste as Plain Text

You could also try adding a new block to the template.

If you have any other questions, message me.

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

Re: Having issues with templates

You can open the block, view the html (see the little icon in the upper right corner) select all and delete.  That wipes out the block's formatting.  Then go back to the normal edit view and type or paste in your copy and finally format it. 

I've seen extra hard returns show up after I have duplicated a block.  So I go to the text after the extra hard return and backspace until I have gone past it.  Then I can retype the missing copy.  Normally it is just a few words.

Be sure NOT to copy streight from a Word Document into an information block.  Word will put formatting on your copy that will screw up the CC html editor.  Copy first to "Note Pad" or some other text editor, and the copy and past from there.

Does this help?

Sincerely,
Ray Higgins
Cybermail Marketing
ray@cybermailmarketing.com
Regular Visitor

Dear Constant Contact: Before you make any more upgrades, please fix your formatting!

I have just about had it with the terrible formatting problems in Constant Contact, such as formatting that is fine in editing mode, then when you save it it is totally different, with extra spacing between lines or paragraphs, different fonts or sizes, bold when it should be regular, etc., etc. It makes the end product look like some careless employee, i.e. ME, look like I don't know what I'm doing. Anyone else ready to switch to a new vendor?

Honored Contributor

Re: Dear Constant Contact: Before you make any more upgrades, please fix your formatting!

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear about your formatting trouble.

I've noticed that most formatting problems happen because either an email is old and has had many copies made from it, or text was copied and pasted into the block.

If you are working from an old copy, I would suggest adding a new block to the email and see if that helps. If you continually work from the same email you can run into issues due to coding.

Even when you completely wipe out all of the text and images from a block, there is still coding and formatting behind that block that is never deleted. When you try to add and format new text in the block, you can run into issues due to the conflicting code. Adding a new block prevents this.

Another option is to create a new email and situate the blocks in the areas you would like them to display in the template. After formatting the blocks, Save that email and use that as your Master Template to make copies from.

If you are copying and pasting formatted text into Constant Contact you can also run into issues at times. That's because the text you are pasting in already has coding and formatting behind it. If our system doesn't recognize the coding or formatting, the text can display incorrectly.

I would suggest pasting text as plain text. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Click the pencil Edit on the block in which you want to paste.
  2. Click Paste as Plain Text Paste
  3. Paste the text.

If you continue to have trouble with formatting please let me know or call us at 1-866-289-2101.

Jarrad

Regular Visitor

Re: Dear Constant Contact: Before you make any more upgrades, please fix your formatting!

Thank you for the suggestions.

I never copy and paste text, so that is not the issue; I always type directly into a block, as I was told by a CC customer service rep some time back.

I suppose I will try creating a new block. I don't know what you mean by an "old" email. I create a new one every month exactly the way Constant Contact seems to encourage its clients to do it: by clicking the "copy" button to start a new newsletter. If that's not the best way to start a new edition, then CC shouldn't provide that option.

I noticed when I posted this that I was not the only one to have raised the question of formatting. I hope next month's edition goes better. We'll see.

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!