cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED

Why do my emails look drastically different once they've been sent than they do while designing them?

I'm struggling with the same issue, but I've narrowed the problem down to Outlook 2007, which uses Word 12 to display HTML email. Microsoft has acknowledged that it's broken but will not be fixing it. This has been confirmed by other HTML mail developers who sent over 20,000 emails to Microsoft about it. Outlook 2003, Mac Mail, GMail and Yahoo mail all work perfectly. I'll continue testing today with some CC templates instead of custom code.

Occasional Participant

Why do my emails look drastically different once they've been sent than they do while designing them?

I understand all my emails are showing up with centered text in IE in gmail! Justification is fine (left) when I use Firefox and gmail. I have tried two different templates with same results. Has anyone else seen this? If so, any solutions?

Highlighted

I use Firefox and the latest version of Safari. I am continually frustrated about the lack of continuity between what I preview and then what I am sent at delivery. Today's email wasn't even the same font or font size. The people that I am sending it to don't see this as a tool issue. Their comments are that I'm getting lazy. I hate that most of all.

Why Does the Preview and Actual Email Look So Different?

I was hired by a client to build a few html templates from scratch for use in Constant Contact.  When I test them in my browser through Dreamweaver, and using the preview function in Constant Contact they look great, but I sent a test email to my Outlook and Gmail accounts and the entire message gets chopped up.  Has anyone built a template from scratch only to have it greatly distorted when it goes through an email server?  Also, did you find the solution?  Thanks.
Contributing Developer

Does it look good in other mail clients or services? i.e. Yahoo

Having a similar problem. In outlook the images don't appear in preview, need to open the email to actually have images show. Would really like the images to appear in preview.

Participant

It looks like your Email software is not loading the CSS code in. Which Email program are you using to view your test emails? Have you tried it in other Email software/services, as ChevyTalkTony asked?

Contributing Developer

Outlook 2007 has no support for CSS positioning. Ask your developer not to use CSS for that. Basically OL2007 is screwed. OL2006 used IE while the newer OL2007 uses the MS Word engine to display HTML. I'm not sure about your GMail issue though. The good news is that OL2007 presents a small footprint for the B2C audience. Here is a link to the Microsoft site where you can get the "Outlook HTML and CSS Validator." I must say I have not tried this at all. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0B764C08-0F86-431E-8BD5-EF0E9CE26A3A&displaylang=en

Occasional Participant

Yeah, Outlook is terrible. The only workaround is that OL users have to click on a link to open up an HTML version of the email. Gmail shows it fine as long as the person opening the email allows images to show up.

Solution Provider

difference from preview mode to actual email

Does anyone else experience a difference in the way an email lays out and looks from the preview mode to what is seen in the test email?   There is often a significant difference in the layout