cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED
Contributing Developer

Why does my email layout look different on differerent browsers or email clients?

Unless a "very" large majority of your contacts use Entourage I would say that its not a very good choice for your reference. You are experiencing one of the big challenges of creating an email campaign. I agree with the previous suggestions.

Highlighted
Solution Provider

Why does my email layout look different on differerent browsers or email clients?

If you would like more detailed information on "why things look different" I suggest you check out the The Email Standards Project?

Participating Solution Provider

Email clients behave differently than web browsers. When you look at your email via Preview you are looking at it via a browser. When you send it out you look at via an email client Outlook, Gmail etc. They treat things differently than browsers in some instances. The safest course of action is to have a small list of email addreses for each of the major email clients. Send your email live and look at it through each of the email clients. Differences are inevitable!!! The decision is whether or not the differences are acceptable, BTW other email marketing software have the same issue.

Joseph Grillo
781-307-5258
jgrillo@jngassociates.com
Regular Visitor

I think this is a rather big problem. I have just started to have these problems with the update of Firefox and with Internet Explorer 8. Before that all was fine. These are major browsers so it seems to me that there should be a fix of some sort for my emails to look as good as they did before the updates. At this time, Constant Contact is unable to help with this. It seems to me that they will have to find a solution for this as more people use the newest version of Internet Explorer.

Is anyone losing formatting when sending from a Mac to a PC

My emails, depending on which ones I chose are losing their formating when they are sent from my Mac to anyone that has a PC. For example, in the "school pack," I created an email with the CHALKBOARD template. When this email was sent as a test email to a couple of co-workers working on PC's, the email was very bland and the pictures did not download. Is there a way to fix this or is this going to happen every time?
Valued Contributor

Everyone gets the same email, no matter if it is a Mac or PC. However, it can look different in the various email and browser clients, something that is not Mac/PC dependent but rather browser/client dependent. The fact the others are loosing the pictures would seem to indicate that the links to the picture are wrong, perhaps linking to local files on your computer. If you want to send it to me, I will try to find out what is wrong.

Occasional Participant

Hey VandyLand. The same is happening for me. I also use a Mac, but never considered it an issue. By the way, I do make a point of using the web version link at the top of my email for those who are "having trouble viewing this email", and it's a great back up to have. In the meantime, I represent Emmy, Grammy and Academy Award winning artists, so it's pretty awful to have their art fail to appear in the emails I send. Yikes!

Thank you both for offering an answer to this problem. However, this is not an image or link that I've uploaded, it's the template from School Pack called "Back to School." I definitely think it could be in the email system. PC users here at Vanderbilt use Outlook for their email and Mac users use Entourage. And even though both are Microsoft products, I'm sure there is something within these two email systems that make everything different to the viewer. I've actually uploaded my own pictures for specific emails that I want to have the same or similar look when sending them, like our Dean of Students monthly newsletter. But I was planning to use this for our monthly Professional Development announcement. I'll probably find a photo I like and upload it like I've done with my other emails. That seems to be more reliable.

Solution Provider

I'm losing formatting when sending out a custom template

This hasn't happened before... I've been using the same code for my clients custom template, but all of a sudden, AFTER I click 'send', the font changes size...AND the formatting loss is different depending on the email address I send it to. 

Receiving it in my Outlook the font distortion looks differently than when I read it from my SBCGlobal account. And when I read it in my Gmail account - it looks perfect!

I create the email in Dreamweaver and copy/paste into Constant Contact. I've been using this template/HTML coding since May and it's been great.

Any ideas???

Eydie
Eydie Stumpf
Constant Contact Authorized Local Expert
Terra Media Marketing Group
info@terramediamarketing.com
Valued Contributor

I'm losing formatting when sending out a custom template

Yours is the third report of this type of problem in here in the last few days. In mid December Contant Contact implemented their "Editor Improvements". I wonder if with these improvement came some new bugs in the software. Maybe a call to support will help get this resolved.