cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED
Occasional Participant

Re: Image formatting problems

Much better. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Image formatting problems

You're welcome! Glad I could help!

Space Between Articles

I am using the Volunteer template which is a 2-column template.  I have article blocks on both sides and most have png images included.   Each block is separated with a divider line.  In the right hand column, I am getting a significant amount of space between 2 article blockss.  In preview mode, there is no space, but when I send a test email message to my Outlook account and download all pictures, the space appears. 

To troubleshoot, I recreated the email using the template and sent myself a test email after inserting each block to find out when the problem occurs.  I was able to create the entire right hand column with no space between the 2 blocks.  I then began creating the left hand blocks one by one and was able to pinpoint with which block the problem occurs. 

I have no idea why it's occurring; I've tried everything - recreating the images and scaling them down, using jpgs instead of pngs, etc.  It's almost like I run into a space limitation and anything added beyond that, regardless of whether it's images or straight text, creates the space between the 2 blocks on the right hand side (the same 2 blocks and no others).  As I add more articles to the left hand side, the space between the 2 blocks gets larger.  Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and how they fixed it.  I have a screen shot below of the area where the space appears.  Thk.

Capture.PNG

Tags (2)
Valued Contributor

Re: Space Between Articles

Brian,

Thank you for reaching out to us! I want to share a bit of insight with this issue as it comes up often and it helps to know what is going on. Outlook is re-rendering your e-mail to ensure that if you printed it, nothing got cut in half because there wasn't enough room on the page. Usually you see these "gaps" right above images as Outlook doesn't want to cut an image in half so it pushes it down, and that's how you get that extra space you have.

The way to "remove it" is to get whatever is below that gap to fit in the space above it. In the case of your picture below, there's about 18 lines of space that take up that gap, so the image below that will need to be less than 18 lines tall. Shrinking down images can help, as can removing extra space above that "gap" so you make the gap larger and thus allow the image below to have more room to fit. But bottom line, you need to make what is below that gap fit in the space that makes the gap so Outlook doesn't move it down to prevent cutting it in half.

It takes seeing it a few times to get it down, I invite you to call us at 1-866-289-2101 and we can discuss that in person and fix it up for you over the phone and show you how it works.

Thank you so much!

Joe

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Thank makes sense, and I would have never thought of it.  Thank you, I will try your suggestion.  Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Sure thing! Let me know if you have any issues with it. We see it quite often and it's really not an issue more than just Outlook having different priorities.

Joe

Highlighted

layout glitches in Outlook

We are able to send out graphic email newsletters without problem to all email systems except outlook... searching for various things online all seem to conclude "Outlook doesn't read the same way and glitches, too bad".

this is a sample page containing the html we are trying to send out:
http://photoservice.ca/INFOTOlettre/infotolettre__2012-07-20__1736.html

attached is one of the offset <tr> spacing glitches...
everything is fine, except this one 

any insight into how why this glitch is happening?
any nuances in the table/image code that I should be aware of?

thanks in advance for your help.

Jerome
photo service webmaster

layout glitch in outlook 

Re: layout glitches in Outlook

Hi Jerome,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your email displaying in Outlook. It looks like you are using Outlook 2007, these issues may be caused by various HTML specifications not supported by Outlook.  There are a couple of things you can try:

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Developer

Why is Constant Contact to incompatible with Outlook?

I spend way, way too much tome trying to make our e-mails look in Outlook the way they do in the "preview" mode.

It's maddening. 

Is there some trick to this? I am gettng ready to dump this account over this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why is Constant Contact to incompatible with Outlook?

Hi jdmdetroit,

I'm sorry that you're having difficulty with how your email views in Outlook. What version of Outlook are you using?  What is happening in your email when you view it in Outlook?

This FAQ should help with explaining how your email will display in both Outlook 2007 and 2010. If you'd like us to take a look at your email to see if there's anything we can tweak, please let me know or call 1-866-289-2101 to speak to a live rep.

Thank you!

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!