cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED

My preview looks one way and the emailed product looks another?

Further tests show that when I use an image that I have linked to does now show. But if it is hosted on Constant Contact the email works in both browsers
Occasional Contributor

Background colors?

Is anyone else having issues with the background colors in the email? We have been getting numerous complaints from readers saying that they are getting an email with a blue background and then the links are blue so it is difficult for them to read. First of all we have the main text boxes set to have a white background and this happens even when the rest of the background is not a blue color. Any thoughts on why this might be happening?

Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Background colors?

Not sure if you're using your own code or a CC template. Some clients most notably Microsoft Outlook are problematic with background colors. If there is no reference to blue anywhere in the piece its a bit hard tracking down the cause. I think there's something going on that your missing somehow. Take the HTML from the newsletter and look at it in your HTML editor to see if you can discover the reference to blue. In addition to that you should also be able to control that active link and make it a color other than blue if you wish. Regards, Tony
Regular Advisor

Background colors?

Check your template. Some have a white background image but will have a different background color underneath. If the email program you are using does not support BG images (such as Outlook 2007+), the BG color will display instead. This could be the source of blue background. You can check this in the "Global Colors and Fonts" section of the email editor. If you see a "Use no image" option, click it and see what happens (just don't save your changes unless you like the outcome). - Steve

Problem with email displays

I have formatted an email, and have sent it to various people in Preview to test. One person receives it in a totally different format (text is not formatted the same) than another. Both recipients have the same screen resolution. Why would the format appear different (ugly) for some and appear as I formatted it for others?
Honored Contributor

Michelle, Can you share a little more. Are you using the CC templates or some HTML code? Testing in different browsers and different mail clients is something that goes by the casual users of the system. Perhaps you have found a bug or perhaps its something that you might be overlooking. What do you mean text is not formatted the same? These are specific questions because troubleshooting gets specific. A great resource is the CC hotline. Regards, Tony

In reponse to the post from Clique Marketing: I am using CC templates. Standard code - nothing custom. In the email, I have text to the left of an image (both in same box). The person that has reported the display issue has their computer set up for same resolution as I, and we are using the same browser and versions of Outlook (we work for the same company). Both received email from CC. When this person sees the email, the text (to the left of the image) is displayed in a more narrow border than what I have it formatted as, and therefore, is displayed incorrectly down the left side of the image. The image on the other hand, looks to be same size - and is displayed fine. If I forward my properly formatted email from CC to them, they see it fine. So it's just when sent directly via CC. I am concerned that there are other email recipients receiving this incorrectly (but not telling me...)!

Black text changes to white text

When I set up an e-mail I have the article text in black. When the e-mail is sent and received by the public it comes over as white text. Why? I verified that the text is formatted as black.
Honored Contributor

Where are YOU checking with and where are THEY reading with? It's a good practice to check your output in as many email clients and MSP systems / browsers as you believe makes sense. For instance a rule of thumb would be always check in Outlook 2003 and 2007, Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo as that represents the lion share of email clients. Regards, Tony
Visitor

I have had the same problem. If I format in one color and then do the preview it often times has changed colors. I would love find a solution as I spend way to much time fixing things.