cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED

Re: Column Widths Different in Preview and Email View

Hi @hh1965

What is the name of the email you are working on that this is happening in so I can take a look?

Thanks,

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Contributor

Outlook Formatting Issues

Hello,

We are having display / formatting issues with our first newsletter. Draft: Leeds Grenville Economic Development  |  eNews June 10, 2014

The 3 blocks that should be the full width of the template are not displaying properly in some versions of Outlook - header, header image, and social media. 

The top header is part of a locked template, we can't edit that block. 

Web Preview: 

header proper.JPG

social media proper.JPG

Some versions of Outlook: 

header.jpg

social media.jpg

Thank you for your help. 

Re: Outlook Formatting Issues

Hi Jay,

Happy to help witht this! What version of Outlook were you seeing this in? I tested in 2010 and wasn't able to replicate. 

Thanks,

Hannah M.

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Occasional Contributor

Re: Outlook Formatting Issues

Thanks Hannah, 

This is the strange part... we are a department of 3, all using the same software within the organization -  Outlook 2010, two staff members see the formatting issues, one does not. 

When testing it displays fine in the web version as well as in Hotmail and Gmail clients - both in desktop and mobile. 

We're afraid to send it out until we know why it appears so distorted for 2/3 of our team in Outlook - don't want others to experience our first newsletter this way.  

Thank you!

Re: Width and Formatting Issues in Outlook

Hi I am having the same trouble as the starter of this thread. I have an email built on a constant contact template that works fine with all email providers except outlook. Specifically outlook 2010.

The spacing of the email is all out of sync (there are double paragraph seperations) and the email appears much wider making the lines of text stretch out much wider than my images.

Could someone help me out with this asap, I'm happy to let CC staff access my account.

Cheers

Tags (1)

Hi @Contanet 

We are happy to take a look, what is the name of the email this is happening with currently?

We will create a copy as to not edit your original!

Thanks,

Hannah M.

Thanks very much Hannah,

The email is in the drafts folder and is called: Final V of Travel Clubs World B2B email

Thanks again

Honored Contributor

HI @Contanet 

I went into your account and created a copy of the email you mentioned above. I sent a test to my Outlook 2010 and I'm not able to replicate what you are seeing. I've opened a case within your account and will reach out to you via email to see if we can do some more troubleshooting offline.

Thank you!

Solution Provider

Hi, I know I'm a little late in the stream of replies, but in a nutshell, you can't change how Outlook displays your emails, but you can change how you do your email to make it appear more like you want it in Outlook or any other email server. 

What you should concern yourself with, first and foremost, is how does your email appear on mobile devices? The numbers are growing exponentially of email recipients using mobile devices (SmartPhones, Tablets, etc.) to open their emails. And, if you use a mobile-friendly template, you will also find many of your Outlook issues will minimize as well. 

Image padding can also be an issue in creating blank spaces that didn't appear on your preview. Rest on your image, click on the gear and choose padding/decrease. You may have to do this several times. Or you could resize the image to push the text where you prefer. 

Another quick tip to eliminate blank spaces is to use more blocks. Place an image and text in separate blocks one over the other and you won't have to worry where the text will land. You can use as many blocks as you wish and the recipient can't tell the difference.  

I guarantee you will begin to have a new perspective on your final outcome when you are vigilant in testing previews on your mobile devices. I can't stress the importance of mobile appearance enough.

Also, with more and more emails read on mobile, not everyone is displaying their images, so your open rate may decline. Browsers do not register an opened email unless images are displayed by the recipient. 

I recognize that you cannot switch templates and expect the content to carry over. So in the interest of speed, you can stick to adjusting the padding, creating more blocks to separate content for more control (easy to do by copying the blocks and deleting text from one and image from the other), and checking the results. Tedious, but once you do it, you'll learn what to avoid in the future. 

On the text size issue, that is most likely you trying to change the size without changing the chosen font. You can make a change stick by choosing "colors and fonts" instead of one of your preset font styles.

Constant Contact   Emails   Customize Your Campaign.jpeg

It's a battle no matter what since people use different browsers, have different size monitors, devices, etc... but you can get closer to uniformity with these tips. Hope this helps :smileyface:

(I think I'll use this as a blog post - thanks! It's others' questions that fuel my content!)

Hania Whitfield, SMB Smart Marketing, LLC

Here's a screenshot of how to find mobile friendly templates. The option does not appear unless you click show more.

Constant Contact   Emails   Template Selection.jpeg

Column Widths Different in Preview and Email View

I am using a two-column template and it is breaking when I send the preview to my Outlook Web App email. Gmail is fine. 

Why are the images blown out across the page. i.e. they do not hold the template width?