cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED
Honored Contributor

Re: Display Issues in Outlook 2013

Hello @DarrenR68

To try to help with the issues with the images, can you check a setting on the computer for me please?  We are checking the Display settings specifically.  You can do that by right clicking on the desktop and choosing Personalize.  From this Control Panel menu you can click Display in the bottom left hand corner. On this page, can you tell me what size is selected?  The options should be Smaller - 100% (default), Medium - 125% or Larger 150%.  

We have seen that within Outlook if this Display setting is set to anything above the default of Smaller, then the images can appear like they do within your screenshot.  If you have this set at something other than Smaller, can you test changing this to Smaller to see if this resolves the image issues please? 

Occasional Participant

Hi Samantha,

Thanks for the suggestion - tried it and it worked perfetcly, thanks!

Whilst this isn't necessarily a fix, at least I know there isn't anything I can do to fix it.

Cheers,

Honored Contributor

Given your findings, not sure if the OP agrees but I'd suggest that this shoudn't be a base template then.

Occasional Participant

Very true...would've saved me an hour or so trying to figure out which of my edits in the style sheet had caused it to go crazy...

All Star

Templates that Work with Outlook 2010

Are there specific Constant Contact email templates that work with Outlook 2010?  I am having issues with my emails not showing correctly in Outlook 2010 and am interesting in migrating to a template where code is accepted/ recognized by Outlook 2010.

Thanks,

Mary

p.s. It's fine on a web browser so I know this is an Outlook 2010 issue.  So frustrating. http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=653c8517-3a75-4e8f-9fa0-39df185f716b&preview=true&...

outlook-email-issues.JPG

CTCT Employee

Re: Templates that Work with Outlook 2010

Hello @JimW66,

I'm very sorry that you are experiencing this issue! There are instances in which email programs display emails in different ways. Web based email programs can also cause emails to appear differently in different browsers.

In the email campaign that you are showing above you are experiencing an Outlook page break. Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016 treat emails as if they are Word documents and inserts page breaks.

If your email is separated by a page break, there are several options to make the email display more consistently. We recommend trying them in the order they are listed for the least impact on the design of your email.

• Shrink the image to make it fit before the page break.
  • Fill extra space before the page break by increasing the size of the text, or adding more space between lines of text.
  • Make enough room for the image before the page break by decreasing the size of the text or removing any double spacing between lines of text.

For more information on how to troubleshoot this issue here are some helpful FAQ's: 

Display Issues in Specific Email Clients

Image and Table Gaps in Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, or 2016

Lenszie V.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
CTCT Employee

Re: Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

Hi there, 

When using our Second Generation Editor (2GE) sometimes what you are designing may not be the same design and layout that gets sent out to your contacts.

Email programs and mobile devices have unique ways of displaying emails. So, the email design your contacts see may not exactly match what you see when you preview it in Constant Contact which I know can be frustrating. These issues typically arise when you are copying an email multiple times as the HTML code for all of your edits from previous versions may cause these display issues. We recommend creating a new email, in this case, to make sure that you are starting fresh. If you use the same layout for all of your emails you can use the Save as template feature so that your edits to the design of the email will be saved and you can still create a new email to help avoid any display issues. Here’s more info on that.

Please see this FAQ with these design tips and you can make your email look better in all email programs (Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.):  http://conta.cc/2lkiaQZ

Always preview your email before sending whether you are using 2GE or 3GE.  I hope that helps! 

Regular Visitor

This is the first time using a template, and it still does not appear like the preview when sent. It also appears differently on android and iPhone. Please help?

CTCT Employee

Hello @CSU-PA,

We would be glad to take a look at your email campaign to see if there might be someonthing going on with the template or content. Would you kindly send us an email with your username and the name of the campaign that you are working on along with screenshots of the problem? You can send this information to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com - Be sure to reference this post.

Thanks.

-Curtis P
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
CTCT Employee

Hello,

It can be very frustrating not having your email campaign display the way that you had designed it to. We do provide a feature within Constant Contact called Inbox Preview that will allow you to view how your email will display on five major email clients and devices. This will save you time by not having to send tests from your account to various email clients. For more information on the Inbox Preview, please click here.

With the addition of our new Third-Generation editor, the chances of emails displaying incorrectly in the inbox is reduced. The Third-Generation editor maintains a more steady appearance across major email clients especially when it is viewed on mobile devices. Also, with the addition of our new preview feature for the mobile device email display, you can view how the your email campaign should display on a mobile device. I hope this information helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Lucas_D
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing