cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED
Occasional Participant

Viewing email in Outlook

I have created an email using one of the default templates. Email looks good in the preview. When I send a sample the email looks good in gmail, but have tried it with booth Outloo.k 2007 and 2010 and the email is all "scrunched" to the left in 2 long columns. Also looks good when select link to view on web.
Not sure what to do next, any help would be great.
Valued Contributor

Viewing email in Outlook

Do your Outlook clients have image display turned off? Always include the link to view on the Web.

Honored Contributor

Viewing email in Outlook

I believe image display is off unless you add the address to your safe list. I'm not aware of a global setting. If there is can someone let me know? Assume outlook users will never see your images without them taking an action. There are some tricks using Alt Tags etc to help a bit. Its hard to make a guess without seeing it.

Valued Contributor

Viewing email in Outlook

That is a good point about alt parameter on the image tags. If one has images turned off they will still see the text of alt parameter. Something that describes the picture might be nice for example "Manager Jim Jones receiving the Outstanding Dealer of the Year award from Widget Corportions executive vice president Nick Jones." This is great for accessibilty also.

Valued Contributor

Viewing email in Outlook

BTW, in Outlook 2003 you can globally set images on or off. I don't know about 2007 or 2010. Tools --) Options... --) Security --) Change Automatic Download Settings... ----- You will find several options including disabling all pictures, or just those who are not on your safe sender and safe recipients lists.

Viewing email in Outlook

i am having the same issue with one of the table width's within outlook. looks good in preview, but when i open email in outlook my table goes all the way to the right ... were you able to resolve this?

Occasional Participant

Viewing email in Outlook

I had sent a preview before I had completed the email and it looked fine. I am now just getting to revisit this problem but there are 2 variables that I will look at. 1. The last article that I pasted in was created in Office 2010. 2. There last article in general may be causing a formatting issue. I will post an update when I have removed that block and recreated.

Occasional Participant

Viewing email in Outlook

I had sent a preview before I had completed the email and it looked fine. I am now just getting to revisit this problem but there are 2 variables that I will look at. 1. The last article that I pasted in was created in Office 2010. 2. There last article in general may be causing a formatting issue. I will post an update when I have removed that block and recreated.

Occasional Participant

Coding practices for Outlook 2007

My client is upset that her newsletter (which I custom coded) is broken when viewed with Outlook 2007.

Is there coding protocol for this that doesn't stuff up the rendering in the other better designed email programs?
Valued Contributor

Coding practices for Outlook 2007

Well, that depends what is broken. Outlook 2007 by default does not show pictures. There is not much that can be done to change that. Because of the variations of mail clients and user settings for those clients it is a good idea to always include the "Webpage Version" message at the top of your email. Also insure that all images have and ALT tag (Description in Contstant Contact) have an appropriate and thought out message. This description appears in the place of the photo in email clients that are set so that they don't show images.