cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED
Occasional Participant

Coding for Outlook 2007

I am coding my template to allow for Outlook 2007 by stylling the BODY tag with background details. However, the standard box linking to an online version above the email is covering the top of the template. How can I push the template 10px down under the box?
Valued Contributor

Coding for Outlook 2007

Can you upload an example of the email?

Occasional Participant

Default Templates not working in Outlook 2007

I'm having an issue with the High Tech template when viewed in Outlook 2007.It isn't with images not appearing which seems to be a common thread topic (those look fine in preview mode and when sent via test email to outlook 2007 address I have to right-click to download images and then they look fine)...

My issue is with the default "High Tech" template... I've changed the global colors from Olive to Navy but when viewed in outlook the heading bars are all still green... although when viewed in gmail, aol, etc. they appear as viewed in the preview which is navy blue... any ideas???

I've chatted with CC and was simply told that there are issues with Outlook 2007 and beyond... Isn't that a major player in enterprise e-mail... how can they not be fully compatible...
Honored Contributor

Sean, Have you inspected the code and looked closely for those green colors? I suspect there is still a reference to them somewhere. Regards, Tony

Contributing Solution Provider

Every email program and every computer has default setting that alters the way emails are viewed. You will also find differences in Firefox, InternetExplorer and Google Chrome browsers. And you will also find the graphic card on various computers set to different resolutions will alter the appearance (especially colors). There is no way to get 100% on every computer, in every email program or on every browser. Create the best looking email newsletter you can, then test it in every browser on your computer. Then go to a computer cafe (such as Kinkos) and test it on their computer. You will see differences. The solution I give my clients is to create the best looking email, and test it on the email program being used most often by their recipients. Most of my clients rely on the layout that looks best on Internet Explorer ( which is still the browser used most). If all your recipients are using Outlook 2007 then create the email to look its best in Outlook 2007. Wishing you success, Sumner M. Davenport Niche & Multi-Channel Marketing Consultant

Puzzle Master, Solutions Consultant
Niche Marketing Strategy, Solutions & Support for the solopreneurs; small and mid-sized companies.
Publisher, Author, Speaker

Solutions, not just answers.
One Size does NOT fit all.
Solutions to fit your niche, your business and your budget.
Occasional Participant

Does anything jump out at you why this is not working?

Here is teh link to the code that is ONLINE as the source code i pasted into my email editor screen.

This code formats well in most mail apps --- but Outlook 2002 is killing me and that is what the boss has...

Also some alignment hinkiness with yahoo and gmail...

Any ideas what is screwing with me here?

PAGE HERE - (VIEW SOURCE)
Valued Contributor

Does anything jump out at you why this is not working?

Here is a good reference on how to code email in HTML. It might help. http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/code-html-email-newsletters
All Star

Preview and email look different

We use a CC formatted two-column newsletter, with the right hand column being twice as wide as the left-hand one. The newsletter was proofed, looked good, and was sent. For some reason, though,  two of the articles in the left hand column of the email are wider than in the preview, completely throwing off the design and messingup the layout. why would the actual email differ in appearance fomrthe preview? Extremely annoying, and the email looks like we weren;t paying attention. I do not speak HTML, so if you recommend looking at the code, please be very specific.
Honored Contributor

Maribeth, You may be experiencing an issue with a specific email client. Because of your business can I assume you are mainly dealing with Outlook or would that be wrong? Have you tested the "production" email in a variety of mail clients, such as OutLook, Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc? Or are you targeting only one particular email client? Lesson learned, always sent a test copy to yourself in as many of the available email clients that your list will be viewing it in. Regards, Tony
All Star

We use an antique version of Outlook in our office, and suspecting you could be correct about the different email clients, I sent the newsletter to Comcast and Gmail accounts. Bingo; the format was fine. The vast majority of our emails go to office email addresses, so many of our members probably use Outlook, so hopefully the problem here is just a very outdated version. Thanks for your quick help!