cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GDPR express permission confusion

SOLVED
Regular Visitor

GDPR express permission confusion

I used the GDPR template, only a handful of people opted in from that email.

However there is a lot of people on our list who already appear to have given 'express permission' - can we still keep these people on our email list post GDPR or do they also have to be deleted? Im confused as to whether its only safe to keep people who responded to the GDPR email or whether earlier 'express permission' people  can be kept.

The earlier 'express permission' group appear to have been 'added by me' as opposed to signed up themselves so Im confused as to why they are listed as 'express permission'.

I think for GDPR you have to be able to prove in your records that people have 'opted in' for your emails - but I can't see how we'd be able to do that if a bunch of the 'express permission' people are listed as 'added by me' (some are very old and we no longer have sign up sheets they might have signed to be added, so no paper trail)

1 REPLY 1
CTCT Employee

Re: GDPR express permission confusion

Hi @KarenD76241,

Thank you for reaching out to us through the Community. You are able to keep your contacts as long as they have an express permission status. This is independent of whether they opted in through the GDPR email that was sent out through your account or before it. As for the source of certain contacts, you may have been given the option to choose whether the contacts you were adding were implied or expressed permission when you were uploading them manually to your account. Any contacts that are under the expressed permission status are eligible to be sent email under GDPR regulation. I hope this helps. Let us know if you need assistance with anything else.

Lucas_D
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing