cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail Cropping Emails

Gmail Cropping Emails

Hi we just sent out a brief news digest consisting of a couple of pics and links to other news stories by us, but most importantly asking people to update their newsletter subscriptions - expect i've had a bunch of subscribers on gmail say they can't see the links at the bottom of the email. I've seen some old archived advice but is this still relevant, is there a way to know if your email will be cropped and therefore reduce the content? Obviously if subscribers can't see the key unsubscribe links at the bottom it's a problem too especially with the new data protection laws coming in to effect in europe. 

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES
CTCT Employee

Re: Gmail Cropping Emails

@JoystickJunkies

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I completely understand your concern for your contacts not being able to see the footer. To double check this issue, you can create your own list and do a live send of your email to yourself on that particular email client. Then you can be certain if the footer will or will not be cut off.

Our technical team is currently verifying this issue. I will add you to the list to be notified when this issue has been resolved. In the meantime, if you have any further questions please feel free to reach out to us here. We are always happy to assist you in any way we can!

Taryn L.
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Visitor

Gmail is trimming content. A very significant part of the newsletter I am writing now is being replaced by ellipses when it arrives at a gmail email account. This seems to be the problem:

https://emailmonks.com/blog/email-design/avoid-gmail-clipping/

PLEASE NOTIFY ME AS SOON AS THIS IS FIXED. Constant Contact needs a work-around for this. The vast majority of my subscribers use gmail.... Thank you.

CTCT Employee

Hello @ElizaS3,

Thank you for coming to the community with this!  I'll gladly add you to the list of people who are noticing this problem, but I'd also like to share a few practices that might help avoid this while work on some larger-scale solutions.

I took a quick look at your account, and noticed that many of your emails are in the legacy newsletter.  The new editor does a much better job of automatically stripping out superfluous coding, which means essentially that the new editor will create emails with a smaller file-size that is less likely to trigger the clipping issue.  That one change could make a difference for your gmail users.  Other things to avoid are of course excessive amounts of links, changing the font color/style/size repeatedly, or other actions that could reasonably add a large amount of coding to the back-end of the email.

Aaron_H
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!