cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Analytics Effecting Reporting of Constant Contact Click Throughs

Highlighted

Google Analytics Effecting Reporting of Constant Contact Click Throughs

Recently I have seen the "utm" code associated with Google Analytics cause my clicks to be reported by Constant Contact but not the associated click-throughs. What is the cause of this and how can it be fixed? I have already checked to be sure the website accepts query strings and that Google Analytics is enabled. - Thank You

10 REPLIES 10

Google Analytics Preventing Click-Throughs from Being Reported

Links featuring the "utm" code of Google Analytics are being reported for clicks but when I go to the click-throughs to export the results is shows no click-throughs.  What is the fix for this so that clicks and click throughs are synced when using Google Analytics? - Thank You

CTCT Employee

Re: Google Analytics Effecting Reporting of Constant Contact Click Throughs

Updated January 2019:

Hello @LarryW940,

Thank you for getting in contact with us! At this time, being able to include Google Analytics in our 3rd Generation Editor is not currently a feature we provide. As a work around we suggest creating Google Analytics links outside of your Constant Contact account, through Google's Campaign URL builder. Once you have these links they can then be inserted into your email as regular links. This will help getting everything straightened out!

Briody_W
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Regular Visitor

Hi Briody,

The link to the article isn't working.. 

Thank you.

CTCT Employee

Hello @MarcL80

Thanks for reaching out in the Community! We will look in to why the link Briody provided you is not working currently.

What questions do you have about using google analytics with Constant Contact?

Thanks!

Alex S.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Tags (1)

Is there an update to this? The link provided as a solution is still not working.

Hi @OpenAirBigBear

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about this link. After looking into this further it seems this link is for an internal article only our support has access to. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused. In the meantime, to use Google Analytics in our Third Generation we suggest doing an internet search for Google's Campaign URL builder. Once you create this Google Analytics links outside of your Constant Contact account, you can then insert them as regular links. I have updated Briody's response to reflect this answer as well.

Frankie P.

Solution Provider

Hi, this work around is great, however, the URL builder creates either a long URL or a bit.ly short link.  The long link isn't recording properly as stated in this discussion.  We are getting reports that bit.ly short link is blocked on many corporate and company internets.  So when clicking a link in the email, they are getting a message saying that bit.ly short urls are blocked.  Are there any plans to fix the bug in the 3rd generation editor?  It is best to cut out the middle man, if we possibly can.  I appreciate the help and update.  If this isn't in a enhancement list for the 3rd generation editor, how can we get it added?  It is very important that we have proper analytics so we can prove the ROI and conversation rates for our clients.

Thanks

CTCT Employee

Hello @NicoleB7647,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to the community!  I can absolutely understand how important accurate reporting is, and it's unfortunate that our tracking urls are currently interfering with the tracking links provided by google analytics.  Instead of using bit.ly you could try to use Google's built-in URL shortener.  If you just search for 'Google URL Shortener' it should be the first result.

The security problem you're describing with the bit.ly links, is caused by security programs not liking to be 'redirected' from one link to another multiple times.  All tracking links are essentially a kind of redirect, which is why having multiple organizations tracking clicks and engagement, can lead to unexpected problems.  Especially for higher security clients.

I do hope that Google's URL shortener helps for now, but I'm also adding you to feature request to have us work on a google analytics integration, or at least fix the issue described above.  We don't currently have an ETA on when or what that fix will be, but I do know that it's something that's already in the feature requests.

Aaron H

Frequent Visitor

Hi Aaron,

Unfortunately Google has removed their shortening URL tool and has moved to using bit.ly.

Tags (2)