cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML in Third Generation Editor

Occasional Advisor

Re: HTML in Third Generation Editor

Please add me to the list of people who would like html for creating newsletter campaigns (). I just completed the first 3rd gen update (only about 35+ more individual email formats to go)--and would like the option of adjusting line spacing and font size, etc. 

Hi @SharonR53

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your email! I have tracked your feedback for these feature requests in your account. I apologize any inconvenience that may be caused by not having these features. In the meantime, as a work around for line spacing we suggest updating the global font size under the design tab. 

2018-02-26_15-12-00.png

This global font will cause all blocks to have the same line-height. It also goes into effect for the size of bullet points and the spacing around each text block. Changing this font size to be smaller will give you smaller line spacing, and larger for larger line spacing. You can then resize the font size in each specific block. I hope this workaround helps! We also have this helpful article for Moving from the Second-Generation Editor to the Third-Generation Editor.

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
All Star

I'm chiming in here to echo some of Sue's feedback. I started trying to use the 3rd generation editor today and I am shocked that HTML is not accessible. In anticipating the switch, I had already gone ahead and copied several sections of HTML code from my 2nd gen campaigns so that I could easily recreate those blocks within the 3rd gen editor. Come to find out, that's useless.

To reuse content, you suggest copying the whole campaign, but for our company, this isn't a suitable solution. I am often combining elements from several different previous campaigns into a new campaign, or copying a block from a year-old campaign to update with this year's info and in that time the style or other elements of our regular campaigns has changed such that to copy and update a whole year-old campaign would be a ridiculous waste of time. To illustrate: Let's say we held an event last spring (2017) that we're hosting again and I want to promote it in my newsletter the same way (same photo, layout, general info) but update the time and date and maybe put a fresh spin on the body copy. In 2nd gen, I would open up that OLD email, copy the HTML from the block, and paste it into my new email, alongside all the other current events and new info that I'm sharing with our audience. I would never copy the entire campaign from 2017 just to reuse the one block about the event and replace everything else. So it looks like now my choice is to just rebuild everything we've ever made in the 3rd gen editor AND rebuild it every time we want to use it in the future, or stick with the 2nd gen editor for now. Unfortunately, for this and other reasons, it looks like we'll be forced to stay with the 2nd gen editor.

CTCT Employee

Hello @EmilyD85,

Thank you for the feedback!  That's exactly the kind of info we're collecting to pass on to our engineering teams, so they know why people are wanting specific features.  I'll add you to the feature requests both for generic html blocks being added, and also for the ability to copy blocks from one campaign to another.  If you have any other ideas on how we can improve our new system, definitely let us know so we can keep trying to make more improvements.

Aaron H

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
All Star

Yes. I would agree it is oversimplified for someone who has a design background... which many marketers do.

Designers prefer to have control over design... 13 point may fit better... and extra invisible character at 5 point may be just what's needed.

Right?

Occasional Advisor

Thank you! I appreciate the suggestion about the font size.
Susanne

Tags (1)
CTCT Employee

Hi @SharonR53,

You're welcome and we very much appreciate your feedback!

Nichelle M

CTCT Employee

Hi @SabrinaE2,

Thanks for reaching out about our Third Generation Editor! We appreciate your feedback about designers having a bit more control over the design and especially the font sizing. I have passed along your feedback to our developers. Please let us know if you encounter any other features that you'd like to see in our new editor!

Nichelle M

Regular Advisor

I just encountered yet another problem with not having access to html coding in the 3G editor, which is that there does not seem to be any way to have a paragraph indented, or a block that is less than the full width of the email.

I have text with a paragraph I want to indent. Maybe the <blockquote> code is not mobile friendly, I don't know, but there must be some way to do this. I tried making separate text blocks, but there seems to be no way to create a text block with padding left and right.

I hope you will find some way to implement the ability to do this. For now I guess I'll recreate the email lin the 2G editor.

CTCT Employee

@JulieL34

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. I do apologize that our third generation templates do not have access to the HTML code. Due to the lack of HTML code access, indenting a paragraph is not an available feature at this time.

I will definitely submit your feedback to our developers on this feature request. Please let us know if there are any other features you would like to see available. Thank you and enjoy your weekend!

Taryn Leinweber

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!