cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML in Third Generation Editor

CTCT Employee

Re: Is there a HTML code view to edit a Template?

@MoniqueV,

Thanks for your feedback! We very much appreciate hearing why having access to the HTML code in our Third Generation Editor would be helpful. While we don't embed videos within any email campaign you are correct that a link to a video that's hosted on YouTube, Vimeo or Wistia is possible. Another option would be to insert a text link or even link an image to a web page that includes a video you want to share.

Nichelle M
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
CTCT Employee

Re: HTML in Third Generation Editor

Hi @SharonR53,

Thank you for the additional feedback for us to pass on to the developers.  Knowing exactly what people are looking for helps us work in the most needed tools as we update the system.  Some of the workarounds you've mentioned are good ways to control how things are viewed.  Some of the spacing issues you've just mentioned might have another fix as well.  In your campaign go to the 'design' tab, and change the default text size to the smallest size you plan on using in your campaign, that should fix the issue you were seeing with line spacing not fitting the smaller text correctly.

While we're absolutely aware that many people still prefer the Legacy templates, some of them simply aren't as mobile responsive as we would like, which is one of the reasons for switching to the newer editor.  If you were using one of the Mobile Friendly Legacy templates, it was likely to look great on most devices.  However, editing the html can, and did occasionally cause issues on the mobile displays, which simply weren't predictable.  As more and more people started opening email on mobile devices, we need to make sure that our focus is not just that you like the way you're seeing the campaign, but also that your customers are seeing the same campaign you are.  Because of that, some features are currently more limited, to ensure that we're not giving you tools that end up not looking right for a large portion of your contacts.

This is not to say that we aren't going to keep trying to improve the system, and give you more control, but we'll continue to temper new releases to ensure that your campaigns look the same regardless of how they are being viewed.  I hope that helps understand that we're not trying to take away features, we're simply not yet including features until we're more sure they're going to work the way you want them to.

Aaron H

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Visitor

I would definitely like to access it so that I can add leading to a paragraph. Not sure I am missing that but would hope that CC has the same ability as Word.

Hi @ParizaM

Thank you for reaching out about your template! Would you be able to elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish in your emails through HTML coding? I took a look at your account and can see you do have templates with access to its HTML code. If you are on the Campaigns tab in your account, any email that says Legacy Newsletter Email are templates still in our previous Second Generation Editor (2GE). While campaigns that say Newsletter Email are in our newest Third Generation Editor (3GE). Templates in 2GE have access to its HTML. I apologize having this access in our 3GE templates is not currently a feature we provide. This is however a feature request I have tracked in your account and passed on to our engineers.

Frankie P.

Occasional Visitor

We also need access to the HTML to edit an email. In the immediate, we would like to set the alt txt for image headers and the like. There doesnt appear to be an option to set this in the third gen editor. We use alt txt to note what text is contained in an image header (since most email clients dont show images by default). This is also helpful for Accessibility purposes especially for the visually impaired. 

CTCT Employee

Hi @TanyaD1,

Thank you for reaching out to us through the Community. At this current time, we do not have the ability to use the HTML to edit the Third-Generation email campaigns. However, I have tracked the request to your account notifying our developers about the feature request. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. 

In regards to the alt text feature, it is currently available within the third-generation editor. To use it, go into the My Library page. Then click on the pencil icon that is located on the far right side of the image. On the Grid View - place your cursor over the image and click Edit. The Alt Text option should be to the right side. For more information on this, please click here. I hope this helps!

Capture 1.png

Lucas_D

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing
All Star

Earlier this week I ran into a situation where I had a bullet list item with a nested list under one of the points. The editor insisted on making the "child" bullets exactly the same as the parent. The 3rd gen editor has no way of fixing this and believe me I tried multiple work arounds. With access to the HTML code, I could have fixed it in about 30 seconds. Instead I fussed with it for several minutes before giving up.

The new editor is great overall, but this scenario described above gave me bad flashbacks to my earlier experiences with Word (NOT positive) when the program would format things seemingly randomly and left me hating it!

CTCT Employee

Hi @KAWilkins,

Thank you for reaching out to us through the Community. I am sorry to hear that you experienced this issue. I can definitely see how beneficial it would be to have the HTML feature in this type of scenario. I have submitted your feedback to our developers and have also tracked your account with the feature request for the HTML option. I would also add that a possible workaround would be to paste the content into notepad and then pasting it from that document into the email campaign since the Third-Generation pastes with styles. With that being said, again, I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Let us know if you need assistance with anything else. 

Lucas_D

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing
Regular Advisor

I think CC is collecting a list of things people want to do in html, I came across another one today, which is to enter a non breaking space (&nbsp. There are times you really want to keep two words together without using a hard return, which will be handled differently on different devices, browsers, monitors, etc.

CTCT Employee

Hi @JulieL34

Thank you for contacting the Constant Contact Community. 

Thank you for passing along the feedback and I will submit it on your behalf. You may also add it to the Feedback Boards so that other users may see your request and agree with it as well. This board is monitored directly by our product team. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out anytime. 

Thank you for choosing Constant Contact. Have a great day! 

Adrienne B.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!