cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Use Tables

CTCT Employee

How To Use Tables

UPDATED: June 2018

Tables are not currently a feature available in our 3GE templates.

-----

Tables are not only used to show data to your customers, it is a great way to style your email. With tables you can arrange images, arrange dates, and create your own buttons!
Table ex1.png
Arrange images
When you want to put 3 or 4 images in a row, it is a best practice to put them in a table. Email clients (Gmail, Outlook, etc) like to read tables in code and it helps them arrange the images in a proper manner. If you want 1 row of 4 images you will add a 4X1 table. If you want 3 rows of 3 images you will add a 3X3 table (You can put text in the middle like the Brady bunch!)

Table ex2.jpgArrange dates
Keeping dates in a logical order and saving room is a priority. When you list your events, list one on top of other. That will leave room to the right that is not being used. Tables can help you utilize all that space.  If you have 6 events you can add a 2X6 table. In the first column put the name of the events and the time. In the second column put the description of the event and a link to register!

Create your own buttonstable ex3.jpg
Buttons are a way to draw attention to your call to action. Not all templates have a button block that you can insert. Fear not! You can create your own button block. You will insert a 1X1 table and then use the table properties to add a background color (on the Advanced tab) and a border color. You will add your text and make that text a clickable link. Congrats! You just created your own button to use in your email.

Anna Davila
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
9 REPLIES 9
Advisor

Re: How To Use Tables

Thanks for the info on tables. I've been using tables to display day/date/time of multiple events in our emails. I love how the tables make data line up nicely.

The problem is that when some tables are viewed on mobile devices (this is in your mobile-responsive email templates), the day/date/time aligns in a wonky way, with the right-most column's info scrunched down.

Is this considered acceptable for our mobile device owners? Is this just something that we have to live with, or should we quit using tables and return to just listing our events as day, date, time, with commas to separate the info?

Hi @WendyH5

Thanks for posting, I am sorry to hear this is happening. What is the name of an email this is happening in so I can take a look?

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Advisor

Hi Hannah, it's all the place we try to use tables. For example, Test Weekly is one we've recently tested and found to have a mess on mobile in the tables.

That is, if you're holding the phone in portrait. If you rotate to landscape, the tables are better, but you have to know to do that. And some of our audience probably wouldn't know that trick.

Hi @WendyH5

Thanks for clarifying. Because this is a responsive template the content is designed to stack when wider than the device. This is why your images are above your content when viewed on a mobile screen. Your table is a set width meaning the content won't stack but instead stretch out to be the exact distance apart as in your template on a computer. The trick in your case is to use the three content block to align the text and place each line in a new block. This will guarantee that when the content wraps it stacks each title, day and time on top of each other. Can you check out "CC Test weekly" to see this? You will want to adjust the padding to your liking as right now the left column is right aligned, the center is centered and the right column is left aligned.

Hope this helps, 

Hannah M.

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Highlighted
Advisor

Thanks, Hannah. I appreciate you making a demonstration email for me. I'm still playing around with it, but it seems like it will work well! I didn't realize I needed separate tables stacked on top of each other.

Hi @WendyH5

Your situation is a bit unique so this won't be necessary in all cases. Let me see if I can explain. You're using a mobile responsive template so content will stack on top of the previous block in order to fit a mobile device. Here's an example:

2015-10-20_13-17-45.jpg

The block i'm using as an example is a three section table so the "Reading list" cell falls under "Week at a Glance" and then "Yoga Schedule" under that. When it comes to your calendar section, I've put the content in different blocks, like this:

2015-10-20_13-17-10.jpg

This will guarantee that the title, day and time stack on top of one another. The template is designed with responsive blocks but when you manually insert a table with a locked width it prevents the content from completing this stacking process.

Does this help?

Thanks,

Hannah M.

Advisor

Yeah, I understand why the mobile view stacks the columns on top of each other. But I didn't realize the table was forcing a locked width. Cool! Thanks.

What about in (mobile) templates that don't offer the 3 column and 2 column blocks? How can I replicate the tables, so that data like day/date/time are still lined up properly?

Honored Contributor

Hello @WendyH5

What you could do is have individual tables for each of the rows, so you would have 6, 1 x 3 tables instead of one large table with 6 rows.  This will be similar to the three column content block.  If you choose to leave the table at a percentage width instead of at a fixed width in pixels it should have a similar action that a 3 column content block will, where it will stack on smaller screens. 

Advisor

OK, great. I appreciate your time, Hannah. This is very helpful information! :smileyhappy: